Windows 10 Pop-ups Ask Chrome and Firefox Installers to Give Edge a Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
This is hardly different from visiting a google.com while using Edge and getting a popup that tells you to install Chrome because it's "better."

What sucks is that I can't escape these annoying popups at work because I need 3 browsers (Chrome, Edge, and Internet Explorer) installed due to website, plug-in, and application incompatibilities that require a specific browser to work properly.

Aug 15, 2018
Hi, I am just recovering from my annual Windows re-install. OK, approximately annual. I keep HDs divided into 3 partitions: OS, Programs, and Data. What looks like a HD crash never is. The Emergency disk never helps. The Programs partition tells me what apps I still use, the Data partition is always intact although I back it up regularly. The main Browser problem is recreating my many bookmarks, windows, and options. Edge opens looking like a beautiful topless woman who turns around and is wearing NAZI pasties ... again making me try to find means and ways of recreating all my options. Sure, both Chrome and Firefox eat up gobs of RAM. I just finally gave up again on Chrome because their bookmark backup, sharing, searching, whatever, stinks. M.S. My IT career began in '67 at Bell Telephone Labs. I can feel the pulse rate of a little PC and when it regularly changes, or stops, I reinstall Windows. So give me a break.

Brian28

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016

But Google's popup doesn't get in the way of you doing something. You can completely ignore it if you choose.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014

Yeah, I see your point. However, in the case of Google's popup, I don't ignore it (and I'm assuming that I'm not alone) because ignoring popup messages while browsing is a good way to get malware, so it does get in the way, and much more frequently, because clicking "No Thanks" only makes it go away for a few days.

Yeah, a large part of why Chrome became so widely used is that Google used all sorts of invasive tactics to get people to install it. Not only by using popups and banners on their sites for anyone using a different browser, but also bundling it with downloads of Google's other software, and paying developers to bundle it with other popular freeware as well. And while Chrome may have originally touted its performance as a reason to use it, it's been bloated and RAM-hungry for years, despite lacking in useful features or configurability.

Yup. Make the button you want them to press a nice friendly color. Make the other gray... as in grayed out and inactive, even if it really isn't. Psychologically suggest the one option is unavailable since a grayed out button is normally unusable. M$ is pushing the boundaries again when it comes to browsers. Will they get slapped down again because of it? (Not that the "slap down" really hurts them all that drastically.)

A little different, but yeah. Google just uses different techniques since their OS isn't used on desktops so much.

IE = Horrible in the past, still loaded with issues
Edge = IE with a different paint job, stripped of some problem features and thus less overhead.
Chrome = RAM hog + Google additives that may send "telemetry" back to google.

anywhere.craig

Prominent
Sep 13, 2018
Not sure if it's coincidence but for the last 5 days or so (approx since my last Win10 update) Firefox has become unpinned from my task bar every time it updates.

ah

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
I've got the 'Edge is faster...pop-up' since the beginning so that I ended choosing the Edge as a default browser. Now I'm moving back to Chrome.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Time to have a talk with your workplace and the owners of those websites then. There is no reason why you should have to be juggling 3 browsers because of plug-in, website and application incompatibilities.
All browsers should handle content on websites about the same if they are properly coded using HTML5 and Javascript.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
"simply because they had bad experiences with Internet Explorer."

It would be more accurate to say, simply because Microsoft coded crap browsers, trying to push their proprietary view of the Internet.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
No, I think that's some shady sheet right there, and sets a bad precedent, especially depending on where and how the pop up is triggered.

The OS should be agnostic and stay out of your way. Edge should win market share the same way Chrome and Firefox do....on it's own merits.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Anyone else notice the Trend in software vendor dialogue boxes, especially with regards to upgrades or decisions to spend money, where they DO NOT present a "decline" or "no" button at all, and instead make declining only available to people who understand that hitting the "X" on the window manager represents the "opt out" button?

As I mentioned in my previous post, that's exactly what they're doing. Google's Chrome gained its market share using the same tactics, posting deceptive nag messages on their widely used web sites to anyone running a different browser, along with slipping their browser installer into the installers of other popular free software, getting those who just click 'okay' at each step to inadvertently replace their browser with Chrome. Google also recently got fined over $5 billion by the EU for forcing manufacturers of Android devices to install Chrome and the Google search app on those devices. At this point, Chrome is pretty much what IE was a decade ago. While it might be more secure than that browser was at the time, Google is using their ecosystem as a means of tracking and profiling users to better profit from targeted advertising, arguably making it worse from a privacy standpoint.

As for Firefox, they have been losing market share for years, and are back down around 10% now among desktop browsers, or under 5% when including mobile browsers, well down from the over 30% usage they had around the time that Chrome came on the scene. Firefox might arguably have the most merits among the major browsers, but that hasn't kept it from losing most of its user base in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS