Windows 10 Power Problems

wbattel4607

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
83
0
10,660
13
A few weeks ago I finished building my first PC. (minus the video card that is still pending) (parts list here).

For the most part, the PC works great... for the most part...

The biggest issues I've had are power related. I have balanced power settings and, supposedly, up to date drivers given my new install of windows. However: here are the problems I'm having...

1. When I shut down the PC, one of three things will happen. A) It actually shuts down, B) It hangs during shut down on the blue screen with spinning dots indefinitely (I once let it go for several hours and nothing happened), C) It freezes during shut down, as in those dots stop spinning and the screen "freezes".

Option A occurs roughly 75% of the time, and B & C the other 25%. Option C has been more frequent after I put a modest OC on my CPU but it has proven to be stable during extended PC use, so I don't know the issue exactly. The only way to move on from options B & C is to hold down the power button.

2. Windows BSOD with the error "Driver_Power_State_Error" which indicates that one or more of my drivers are having issues waking from sleep, etc... The problem is I have no idea which driver is problematic or how to check as I have a good number of devices being managed, i.e., USB mice, keyboard, headset, and mics, the USB controllers, a SATA III drive, a PCI-E drive (boot drive), and the LAN controller (I'm also getting a PCI-E WiFi adapter soon). So I have no idea what is causing the issues.

My power settings are balanced and I tried tuning the advanced settings but to no avail. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. The hardware works great I'm just strugglingwith the software.
 

wbattel4607

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
83
0
10,660
13


So here's what happened...

I shut down the PC while OCed and it hung like option B with he forever spinning dots, I waited to try to give it time to do any power-off functions and then forced it with the power button.

Then I booted into the BIOS, saved my current OC profile, and reverted the Core Ratio, Core Voltage, and Cache Ratio to their "auto" defaults, and reset and booted Windows from there. I did leave XMP enabled for my DDR4 RAM.

Logged into Windows and opened Google Chrome to have something running before I tested shut down.

I shut down from the start menu, and it froze like option C, but as I typed this it fell back to the BSOD: Driver_Power_State_Error and automatically rebooted to Windows (even though I told it to shut down, not restart. (though it has the same problems restarting, let me add)).

I'm now back at the Windows login without an OC with a puzzled look on my face... lol
 

wbattel4607

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
83
0
10,660
13
I just experienced another spontaneous Driver_Power_State_Error while watching a video on YouTube using Chrome.

EDIT: an hour later it happened again. How do I find out which driver is the troublemaker?
 

wbattel4607

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
83
0
10,660
13


Uninstalled Malware Bytes and Bit Defender and was able to Shut Down / Restart successfully both with and without an OC (note that during the reset after Malware Bytes and before Bit Defender, the system froze (option C) but after Bit Defender went flawlessly), and have not gotten BSOD since then. Now using Windows Defender for all security needs.

I'll post a followup conclusion in a short while to allow more time for potential issues' arrivals but so far so good. :)
 

wbattel4607

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
83
0
10,660
13




I got another BSOD but shut down seems to be okay now- so that's half of my problem gone (at least for now).
I am analyzing the Minidump file and will respond again shortly.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY