Windows 10 privacy policy

Manish Bidhuri

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
Does below lines are true
"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"

Solution
What do you mean 'is it true' ?

If that is what they said, then that is what they might do.
The question is...what determines 'good faith' and 'necessary'?

A court order?
Some random person asking 'Can I have a look at Manish's emails' ?
Autodump to the NSA?

This is standard boilerplate text.

Google has similar.
http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/
---------------------------------
We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:

meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
enforce applicable Terms of...
Yes, real privacy is almost non-existant in Windows 10. All data on that operating system is available at the discretion of Microsoft.

Edit:

Here is an article from Ars Technica discussing how to opt-out of as much of the data collection as possible, though most people are skepticle that this acutally reduces much of what Windows collects from you:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10-doesnt-offer-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

USAFRet

Titan
What do you mean 'is it true' ?

If that is what they said, then that is what they might do.
The question is...what determines 'good faith' and 'necessary'?

A court order?
Some random person asking 'Can I have a look at Manish's emails' ?
Autodump to the NSA?

This is standard boilerplate text.

Google has similar.
http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/
We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:

meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.

So does Apple:
http://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/
--------------------------------
Others

It may be necessary − by law, legal process, litigation, and/or requests from public and governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence − for Apple to disclose your personal information. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate.

We may also disclose information about you if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce our terms and conditions or protect our operations or users. Additionally, in the event of a reorganization, merger, or sale we may transfer any and all personal information we collect to the relevant third party.
-----------------------------------

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

If you want actual privacy, stay off-line.

suicide-eddie

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006

yes they can if you upload and store your data to one of their hosting services eg onecloud, mail, the same as most other online service at the request of a legal preceding.

USAFRet

Titan
Further, this is not just creators of the various operating systems.
This is standard stuff.

Pizza Hut
We may share your information as follows:
If we think we have to in order to comply with the law. For example, we will disclose information to respond to a court order or subpoena. We may also disclose if a government agency or investigatory body requests.

Cox Communications (might be your ISP)
Special Exceptions – We reserve the right to disclose PII in our possession if we have a good faith belief that it is necessary to: blah blah

Do a search for "<company> privacy policy". (replace <company> with whomever you wish)
You'll find pretty much the same thing.

Manish Bidhuri

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014

Manish Bidhuri

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014

I want to purchase a microsoft windows phone and I am in confusion as if my whatsapp data and other stored data can be acced by microsoft.

Manish Bidhuri

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014

I know all other companies have this kind of policy but if somebody uses pirated software or have some sensitive and private data stored in their pc then what about that.

Manish Bidhuri

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
Windows mobile also going to upgrade to windows mobile 10 and is that microsoft also can acess the data and files stored in windows 10 mobile like videos, songs personal photos and whatsapp data etc.

Yes, the fact of the matter is that if you are using ANY digital device/ operating system produced a major company like Microsoft or Google, they will have potential access to what you put on it.

If you're looking for ways to protect your privacy as best you can, here is a link with quite a few resources: https://www.privacytools.io/

Keep in mind, however, that even if you successfully follow ALL the suggestions from the site I just linked, USAFRet is still correct in saying that if you are online at all nowadays somebody will be able to access your data if they really want to (ex. governments).

G

linux mint 17.1 / 17.2 is an awesome choice for anyone to migrate from windows to linux. small learning curve and user friendly.
i like the fact that linux is open source and lots of people keep an eye on the source code and by doing that it tends to stay alot more respectful of ones privacy and security is alot better unlike windows OS. windows OS is still good and i still use it also.

in my opinion one can't go wrong by migrating over to linux the transition is very smooth. lots of resources and lots of help forums if needed.

just my opinion.
life is good.
the poorguy

Manish Bidhuri

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014

My question is related to Windows 10 for mobile

G

i am going to say that windows 10 mobile will have the same privacy intrusion as any other version of windows 10.

mrhagerty

Honorable
Oct 16, 2015

I've read the counter arguments for accepting Win 10's enhanced experience and worrying less about personal content, since other apps and sites are already doing this. One of my persistent concerns however is the collection of credit card numbers with other personal data I might wish to otherwise let happen.

I don't see how that data is relevant to improving operating system or user experience. There is no specific setting for turning off financial data collection.

The same concern is for typed in passwords.

mrhagerty

Honorable
Oct 16, 2015
DOES WINDOWS 10 EMAIL DATA COLLECTION INCLUDE MICROSOFT OUTLOOK?

Is the email content collection only for the hot mail or online Outlook.com or does it invade installed apps like Outlook in MS Office?

USAFRet

Titan

That above quote speaks to stuff that you upload to, or access through, MS services and applications.
For instance...if you upload something to your OneDrive, and they deem, for whatever reason (court order?), that they need to disclose it to someone else...guess what...that stuff lives on their server.
That is what they will do.

Email....if your stuff goes through their email server....and you designate that folder 'private' thinking that no one can see it...guess what..it isn't that private. It lives on their server.

Windows 10 is not secretly slurping up all the other stuff on your PC and sending it far and wide.
Unless your credit card number ends up in an unencrypted email...they do not know it.

If you buy something from MS....guess what...they know it. They always did. Just like everyone else you might buy something from.

mrhagerty

Honorable
Oct 16, 2015

G

i don't know what all of the fuss is about all of the sudden. there hasn't been any privacy over the internet for years. like i am going to believe that microsoft and google and android and everyone else hasn't been retrieving information from years gone by really who is that naive. it doesn't matter any more. if you want security and privacy you better stick with a typewriter as mentioned in an article that i read. they have been invading our privacy for years and it ain't going to change.
i just ain't going to worry about it just be careful what you put out over your internet if you are that concerned.

just my opinion.
life is good.