Question Windows 10 pro from HDD to SSD?

Dec 31, 2018
I just bought a new PATRIOT SSD 240GB and was wondering if i can somehow put my windows from the HDD on the new SSD for it to boot faster?
Also do i have to do anything in the BIOS?
Thanks!

jakeythehobo

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
If you have less than 240GB of space used on your HDD, then you could:

1. Shrink the partition, so it's smaller than 240GB https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/shrink-windows-10-partition.html
  2. Image it using CloneZilla https://clonezilla.org/
  3. Apply the image to the new SSD

For the above, you'll need an external HDD with more than 240GB of space, a USB drive (which you don't mind being formatted), with enough space for CloneZilla.

In the BIOS, you'd need to check what mode it's running in for the drives (IDE, RAID, ACHI). You want it to be ACHI, but you'll also need to change a setting in Windows for it if it's currently set at IDE.

There's a few ways to achieve this, but this is one of them:
http://triplescomputers.com/blog/un...ch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/

If you're over 240GB of space, you'd have to either remove/backup stuff onto a separate drive to then be able to shrink it, or alternatively, do a clean install.

If you're doing a clean install, still check in the BIOS whether you're using IDE or ACHI.

Dec 31, 2018
Then this will not work, unless and until you can get this actual consumed space to below 200GB.
You can't pick and choose, and you especially can't select "only Windows" to move to the new 240GB drive. All or nothing.
okay thanks but if i just want a ssd in my pc do i just connect it and it will work or do i have to do stuff in bios.

Dec 31, 2018
If its just an extra drive, no messing around in the BIOS needed.
You may have to Initialize and Format it, but that's only if it does not appear as a drive letter.

Plug it in, see what happens. If it fails, come back here.
[/QUOTE
its plygged in but its not showing up in the file folder

You know have to initialize it using Disk Manager.
Windows Key, Computer Management (type computer and it should come up)
Left Side - Disk Management
You should see 2 Physical hard disks in that, one will say C: etc and one will not
The one that doesn't needs to be click on, initilized and formatted from the right click menu

Dec 31, 2018
You know have to initialize it using Disk Manager.
Windows Key, Computer Management (type computer and it should come up)
Left Side - Disk Management
You should see 2 Physical hard disks in that, one will say C: etc and one will not
The one that doesn't needs to be click on, initilized and formatted from the right click menu
Its working.
Thanks alot for the help.

Pizza PowerXYZ

Commendable
Apr 28, 2019
I just bought a new PATRIOT SSD 240GB and was wondering if i can somehow put my windows from the HDD on the new SSD for it to boot faster?
Also do i have to do anything in the BIOS?
Thanks!

Plug the ssd into any sata connectors, boot into windows
Copy all files over that you want

If your selling the hdd just format it

Done

USAFRet

Titan
Plug the ssd into any sata connectors, boot into windows
Copy all files over that you want

If your selling the hdd just format it

Done
If by "Copy all files over that you want" you mean the actual Windows...yeah, it doesn't work like that.
He needs to actually install the OS on the new SSD. Or, if sizes permitted, clone it over. But the size does not fit here.

And "just format it" leaves behind a lot of stuff you don't see.