[SOLVED] Windows 10 Pro License Transfer to Newer System in a Few Years

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
System Came with Windows 10 Home originally, bought Windows 10 Pro via Windows 10 Store upgrade. From what I read on various sites if I did the Pro upgrade like that it's actually retail and Transferrable in future right?

Just wanna make sure in case someday I have money saved to upgrade to a Ryzen Based CPU, Motherboard, and such, no plans to immediately as yet, but maybe for the way future lol

Solution
If it is linked to your MS account, probably can transfer.

But consider this:
All new hardware, transfer the license.
The old (your current) hardware now has no OS license.
What will you do with that?
Sell it or parts of it, and use that to fund a brand new OS for your new hardware.

And, in the context of a whole new PC, a new OS license is maybe 10% of that total cost.

If it does not transfer, it is not the end of the world.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Yeah i'm aware on not trying to use on both, well don't think i'd even attempt that lol, as only so much room / desk space, if I do upgrade majorly in the future, will only be using 1 Desktop, and 1 Laptop as setup is now lol

This article was reading on another site "Also, in the case that you upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Pro using the Microsoft Store option, then you can transfer the license to a new computer because the product key will be converted into a digital license linked to your Microsoft account."

So seems in the future if and when I do get new hardware, the way I bought my Windows 10 Pro Upgrade using MS Store, it is transferrable which will save me even more money in the way future. Might do same upgrade in the future for the Laptop as well--Windows 10 Home to Pro via MS Store

System Came with Windows 10 Home originally, bought Windows 10 Pro via Windows 10 Store upgrade. From what I read on various sites if I did the Pro upgrade like that it's actually retail and Transferrable in future right?

Just wanna make sure in case someday I have money saved to upgrade to a Ryzen Based CPU, Motherboard, and such, no plans to immediately as yet, but maybe for the way future lol

THe only way u can transfer your windows license is if its on your microsoft account. If you bought a key, and connected your MS account to that windows system, then all you have to do is install windows 10 which is free to install, and then go to activate and enter your original key. But only works if you use the MS account connected with that key. They do this so you cant buy 1 key for multiple systems like how netflix allows more than 1 user.

If you are just upgrading your system and still keeping the same MOBO, then even without a MS account (i could be wrong) you can still keep your same windows on that system as most of the time windows is locked to your hardware, IF NOT connected to your ms account.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Yeah do have it attached to Microsoft Account, made sure of that when I originally setup this system.

My plan right now is possibly upgrade video card on this Intel I7 system, and then save money, and hopefully in a year or two be able to afford a Gaming System based on AMD Ryzen at least for the Desktop machine possibly. As seems like prices for newer Intel System will be outta my price range sadly in a year or two, but in either case whatever I decide by then, I must save the money, and then see what I get

USAFRet

Titan
If it is linked to your MS account, probably can transfer.

But consider this:
All new hardware, transfer the license.
The old (your current) hardware now has no OS license.
What will you do with that?
Sell it or parts of it, and use that to fund a brand new OS for your new hardware.

And, in the context of a whole new PC, a new OS license is maybe 10% of that total cost.

If it does not transfer, it is not the end of the world.

Solution

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Right well I suppose I could afford a newer license if I had to in the future time. Main thing thinking of upgrading in a year or two if i decide to,

Do like my Intel I7 7700 currently, but 4 Cores and 8 Threads eventually not gonna be able to run much newer games I figure in the future, Though for time being might get a Geforce 1660 Super card to replace my Geforce 1050 2gb if I can afford that next month. That I think will hold me over til I can afford or decide what to do in future lol for sure. Who knows might decide to stay on Intel Side of things, not just 100 percent sure yet.

1 Game wanna run in future is Battlefield V, The New MS Flight Sim that gonna be coming out eventually, Guess at this point i'll go with video card upgrade plan, then start saving