Windows 10 Pro - OEI vs OEM vs full

niroshido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Okay, I've seen similar threads about the subject of Windows licensing and distribution packages but I am still unfamiliar (basically I am a dope and after many attempts of trying to, i failed to actually understand) with the differences. On Microsoft's website particularly under their Licensing FAQ http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#faq2
Can I buy system builder software for personal use. The FAQ answers no you can't, but why not?

what affect does this have to a user, how is OEM, OEI or "full" so different?

what effect would it have in what contents you get in the OS?

is it a case that if I buy an OEM or OEI version of the OS, I have to install on a drive that exists within a machine that already has an OS and then transfer the drive to the PC I want the OS on (aka a brand new build)?

what would happen if i built a brand new machine and got to the BIOS screen for the first time and tried to boot from CD/DVD ?

some say that the full version of the OS comes with a 32 bit OS DVD, how is this even relevant in this day and age, why would anyone bother with a 32bit OS when it limits RAM amount along with other functionality?

thanks in advance.

Solution

Yes.

USAFRet

Titan
OEI/OEM - same thing

OEM vs Retail

OEM is tied to the initial motherboard. You can reinstall, but only with that same motherboard. Unless the new motherboard is due to a replacement for a broken original.

Retail - You can reinstall on new hardware. Only one at a time, but hardware changes do not matter.

niroshido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Thanks USAFRet, so does that mean I can put an OEM dvd straight into a brand new computer and install from there as well?

The reason I ask all this is for several reasons
1: OEM seems to be cheaper (170 euros vs 280 euros)
2: I don't need 32bit OS, just like no one else does either
3: I already actually bought the OEM because me is all kinds of smartz

USAFRet

Titan

Yes.

Solution

niroshido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Perfect, thank you USAFRet

niroshido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Sorry USAFRet seems like I missed your question. I bought it from Amazon.co.uk - Windows 10 Professional OEM, from the microsoft website itself a full version costs 279.99 euros. Ireland truly gets ripped off for prices, you either have to deal with the sterling conversion rate, the American VAT and shipping charges (usually in excess of 30 euros (newegg (they don't sell software to Ireland but in general costs over 30 euros due to shipping)) or resale values from companies who buy wholesale

I would have bought from hardwareversand.de but they recently sunk and were bought out by another computer company and since they company is german and they speak only german I seriously place doubts on buying, should I ever encounter issues. Equally you then have Dabs.ie
whose prices tend to be more marked up, same as pixmania (which i have heard can be poor in support). overclockers.co.uk which is again English and deal in Sterling. Basically Ireland may be great as a tax free haven from American corps but a complete sh*thole to buy cheap PC equipment.

USAFRet

Titan

OK. I have zero idea about Irish pricing, but WOW...that is a ripoff.
But, that is between you and your govt and Amazon.

As long as it is from a reputable seller (Amazon), you are good. Just a slightly slimmer wallet.

niroshido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Ireland has always been a ripoff of a place, that's why there is more Irish living in America and every other country than Ireland (actual fact btw: over 20+ mil ppl claim to be Irish, and Ireland's population stands at about 4.6m)

here is a few examples:
http://www.dabs.ie/products/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-english--dvd-disc--1-license--oem-fqc-08929-BJ1J.html?src=3
Excludes delivery charges

http://www.komplett.ie/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-oem/80039987/details.aspx
excludes delivery charges

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Software-Windows-Professional-32-bit-English-International/dp/B0111YEG44/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458421316&sr=8-2&keywords=windows+10+pro
prices are in Sterling, Amazon deal in the their own exchange rate (roughly translated price: 193 euros)