Windows 10 Pro OEM Key Reactivation After Using Win 7

imperial93

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
Hello. I'm using a fairly old system. I've just bought a Windows 10 Pro OEM key and installed windows. Activated with this key successfully. But i'm getting some problems, i did whatever i could think of but nothing worked. I want to try install Windows 7 and see if it works without problems or not so i can find out if its hardware fail or compatibility fail.

Here is my question; If i make a clean install with Windows 7 and for example want to return Win 10 later, can i clean install windows 10 and reactivate with same key i got?

Solution
If Windows 10 has been activated on the PC, you can always reinstall it and it will activate again. No need to call Microsoft.

When you activated it the 1st time, a parts list of current PC + the licence key + possible an email address was sent to Microsoft servers. It is stored there so if you ever reinstall win 10 you don't need to know the key.

go to settings/update & security/activation right now
If next to activation it says Windows is activated with a digital license then the licence is currently tied to your PC, and if you reinstall win 10 and get to screen asking for a licence, you click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and then contact server mentioned above to reactivate itself

If next to activation...

imperial93

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012

Thanks. I've sent an email to microsoft and received an answer just know. They said the same thing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If Windows 10 has been activated on the PC, you can always reinstall it and it will activate again. No need to call Microsoft.

When you activated it the 1st time, a parts list of current PC + the licence key + possible an email address was sent to Microsoft servers. It is stored there so if you ever reinstall win 10 you don't need to know the key.

go to settings/update & security/activation right now
If next to activation it says Windows is activated with a digital license then the licence is currently tied to your PC, and if you reinstall win 10 and get to screen asking for a licence, you click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and then contact server mentioned above to reactivate itself

If next to activation it says: Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account , then your license is linked to an email address. This doesn't change the install process but once you have windows installed, you may need to go back to settings/update & security/activation and click add an account link and put in the email address you linked license too, its likely to be one attached to login now.

Having it attached to an email address makes it easier to move licence to another machine later on, if you ever need to.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Solution

imperial93

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012

Thanks you for your answers. I want to pick as solution but it doesnt work

imperial93

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012

Yes i see a green button but nothing happens when i click it. Strange