[SOLVED] Windows 10 Pro update failure!

I tooth

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
I have been trying to update my Windows 10 from 1808 to 1909. Get constant failure notice. I get error code: 0x80070003. Installation goes as far as 73% then jumps to "failure" notice.
I have been in contact with Microsoft and they said I have to do a complete new install of Windows 10 pro. I don't want to do that because it will wipe out everything else on my computer. Microsoft said that there were some files missing which is preventing the update. They did not say which one however. I have tried some repairs with things I have read on line with no success.

So with all that said I thought of possibly another way to get the latest version of Windows 10 pro without having to delete everything else in my system. That is, can I partition my Samsung 860 pro SSD (1TB) to install the updated version of Windows 10 pro while leaving the old (corrupted) version of Windows 10 pro in its existing partition? Then after the download of the updated version, eliminate the partition with the older corrupted version of windows, leaving the partition with the updated version.
I am thinking this would then not remove everything else on my system. (folder, files, data, apps, etc.)

Thanks upfront!

itooth

Solution
No no no....
A new install on a different partition will retain nothing of your current install.

As far as your personal data...you should be prepared for a full reinstall ALL the time.
Just in case.

I agree with MS....this system probably needs a full wipe and reinstall. As painful as that may be.

USAFRet

Titan
No no no....
A new install on a different partition will retain nothing of your current install.

As far as your personal data...you should be prepared for a full reinstall ALL the time.
Just in case.

I agree with MS....this system probably needs a full wipe and reinstall. As painful as that may be.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
yes I have a back up

What a pain that is going to be
A proper backup routine should not be "a pain".
I can recover any of my individual drives or full systems, from any point in the last 30 days, A couple of clicks, wait a little while, done.

For future reference:

Latest posts