Windows 10 Pro won't detect USB bitlocker drive

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Hey everyone,

I turned bitlocker on in Windows 10 Pro (prior to anniversary update if that matters), and everything was fine. It seems now, that after I have updated to Anniversary, I plug in my external hard drive that was bitlocked using Windows 10, it no longer asks me for the password to unlock it. I go into my computer, and the drive does not appear.

If I go into disk management, the drive is there, but is black bared and says it is 'unallocated'.

How can i go about getting the data off the drive with a proper bitlocker option?

Ummm something else besides bitlocker is going on. That drive have been erased of its partitions and if it was encrypted and the partition wiped it will be very hard for anywhere here to help honestly. That is pretty hard to come back from. I am unaware of where to go from here. We could try a partition recovery program and see if it can bring it back encrypted and all but running any kind of file recovery will do us no good if it was fully encrypted.

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012

Here is the thing though.... I had issues accessing this drive on my main desktop computer after I got the anniversary update, but my laptop which did not get it yet would access the drive just fine. Once my laptop got the anniversary update, it too wouldn't ask for the password and said the drive was unallocated.

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012

Since I got the Windows 10 Anniversary update on the laptop, it too says 'unallocated" on the drive, where is before it did not.