[SOLVED] Windows 10 product 10 unable to activate windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

notasandwich

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I've recently had someone reinstall Windows 10 using their copy (Micro Center tech) because the Iso I had burned onto a DVD had either been corrupted or is out of date. When trying to active it by changing the product key; I get a generic message saying it would not activate.

I've used this key in the past to activate Windows. Why isn't it working now?

Solution
I've recently had someone reinstall Windows 10 using their copy (Micro Center tech) because the Iso I had burned onto a DVD had either been corrupted or is out of date. When trying to active it by changing the product key; I get a generic message saying it would not activate.

if windows has been on the PC before, you don't need to re enter the key as the activation servers should Identify it. All you should need to do is connect to internet, PC should connect to servers and fix up activation.
You need to contact Microsoft if your install won't activate, as if you have key + an email address you registered PC on, they should be able to help from their...
There's no telling what Windows 10 version or license you got from the Microcenter guy.

Standard advice would be to go to Microsoft site and make yourself a new bootable USB flash drive installer through Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool".

The USB stick needs to be 8 GB or larger.

You'd boot from it to install Windows 10.

What's the history of your own license and Product Key originally? Purchased by itself as Windows 10? Upgraded from Windows 7 for free? Came with a pre-built PC? Known to be an OEM version? Known to be "retail" version?

You bought a Product Key only? You bought an official Windows DVD?

Colif

Win 11 Master

if windows has been on the PC before, you don't need to re enter the key as the activation servers should Identify it. All you should need to do is connect to internet, PC should connect to servers and fix up activation.
You need to contact Microsoft if your install won't activate, as if you have key + an email address you registered PC on, they should be able to help from their end.

Where you get ISO from shouldn't matter provided they installed the right version. (If they install Pro and your key is Home, it won't work).

Solution

notasandwich

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
There's no telling what Windows 10 version or license you got from the Microcenter guy.

Standard advice would be to go to Microsoft site and make yourself a new bootable USB flash drive installer through Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool".

The USB stick needs to be 8 GB or larger.

You'd boot from it to install Windows 10.

What's the history of your own license and Product Key originally? Purchased by itself as Windows 10? Upgraded from Windows 7 for free? Came with a pre-built PC? Known to be an OEM version? Known to be "retail" version?

You bought a Product Key only? You bought an official Windows DVD?
The product key was from my OEM copy of Windows 7, which I upgraded to 10 a few years ago. The desktop is a custom built that 've been upgrading parts to for over a decade at this point

Colif

Win 11 Master
when you upgraded win 7 to 10 it gave you a digital entitlement to always install win 10 on that PC. Did you give Microsoft an email address at that time? That is what Microsoft have as linked to your license + details of your PC.
If you are inactivated now you need to contact Microsoft, they only people that can fix activation.

which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 21H2

notasandwich

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
when you upgraded win 7 to 10 it gave you a digital entitlement to always install win 10 on that PC. Did you give Microsoft an email address at that time? That is what Microsoft have as linked to your license + details of your PC.
If you are inactivated now you need to contact Microsoft, they only people that can fix activation.

which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 21H2
OS build 19043, 1526

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Activation on a valid licensure is tied to the computer typically in one of two ways. Hardware ID and MS account. It is specific to the exact same OS, so Home/Pro/etc. If you had Home and installed Pro it will not validate. If you purchased your previous key from one of the grey sites there could be a variety of reasons why it is no longer active.

Best options have already been laid out above, so I won't parrot further.

Status
Not open for further replies.