Windows 10 Product Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boltonsquad

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
So I have just done a fresh installation on my system due to getting a virus I was unable to remove, I previously had the Windows 10 Insider however I'm now unable to get that so I have downloaded the Windows 10 setup from the Windows website.

I run the setup through and it asks me for a product key, I don't have a product key for this only for my legit copy of Windows 7.

How do I progress past this?

Solution
Unfortunately, going from preview to vanilla won't work if you don't want to use your free copy of windows 10 via insider preview. If you want to take advantage of the free upgrade from windows 7 however, then do the following (I'm actually doing the exact same thing right now to my laptop):

1. Install windows 7
2. Activate windows 7
3. Install windows 10 (if it asks for product key, press skip.)
4. Make sure windows is activated automatically in PC settings and your all set! :)

There are two free ways you can get windows 10 right now:

1. Free upgrade from windows 7 and 8.1.
2. Windows Insiders get a single copy of windows 10 Pro for free as a gift! Login to your Microsoft account on one computer in order to active (or so I'm told).

Unfortunately, going from preview to vanilla won't work if you don't want to use your free copy of windows 10 via insider preview. If you want to take advantage of the free upgrade from windows 7 however, then do the following (I'm actually doing the exact same thing right now to my laptop):

1. Install windows 7
2. Activate windows 7
3. Install windows 10 (if it asks for product key, press skip.)
4. Make sure windows is activated automatically in PC settings and your all set! :)

There are two free ways you can get windows 10 right now:

1. Free upgrade from windows 7 and 8.1.
2. Windows Insiders get a single copy of windows 10 Pro for free as a gift! Login to your Microsoft account on one computer in order to active (or so I'm told).

Solution

Boltonsquad

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
I actually thought Windows activated once I input the key when setting it up, I have now activated it so I shall try run the setup again as I didn't have the option to skip previously, unsure if I will need to restart first though

Status
Not open for further replies.