Question Windows 10 random DNS server isn't responding error.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sharp461

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014
OK, so for the past week, I have gotten this random internet error. Everything would be working fine and then just suddenly I have no internet, and having Windows troubleshoot it gives me the error "The DNS server isn't responding." The strange thing is though, my wifi was still working perfectly fine (tested on phone) and the other PC in the house that is wired had no issues, so that rules out my router/modem. Still to be on the safe side, I did my own troubleshooting and so I: 1) restarted the modem and router, 2) bought a new LAN cable just in case, 3) changed the DNS server manually to Googles', 4) updated the LAN adapter drivers, 5) disabled and enabled the LAN adapter, and 6) even flushed the DNS (though I just read online about renewing it and the IP after which I will have to try if the issue happens again).

None of these solutions I read online worked, but you know what did? Restarting the PC. This led me to believe that this is a Windows issue, not any of my hardware. Considering it is only my PC which seems to be affected, and even if it lost the internet, everything else on the Network is working fine. And if the only fix seems to be to restart, then something in Windows is causing this. I just checked too when the last Windows update was, and wouldn't you believe it, 4/10/2019, update KB4493509. My issue only started happening on 4/14 ( I remember because Game of Thrones was starting soon). Never had an issue before, and that update is pretty close to cause me to wonder if it messed something up.

Also, the error seems to be pretty random, as it happened once, I restarted and all was good for the rest of the night. Then I left the PC on overnight to download a game and when I woke up, the game had finished and installed successfully but I lost internet again (this was on 4/14-15). After I restarted again and installed the new LAN drivers just in case, I didn't have this issue again until last night, 4/23. So I just wanted to ask if others have seen this issue, and if Microsoft is aware of any problems with the update or Windows 10 in general causing DNS errors that only a restart seems to fix. Thanks.

sharp461

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014
I must have missed the part where you said you bought a new cable. My mistake. When you say "So far no failures" do you mean that the problem seems to have stopped presenting itself?

I'm just going to answer the questions your presented because I'm not really in a position to troubleshoot at the moment:

1) Do not change the DNS in the router. The problem is just one computer, which means that the router's not at fault. It could possibly be an issue with Windows, such as not updating on time, which could cause network problems just like this (So I'd recommend paying a visit to Windows Update after undoing any changes you've made), or settings elsewhere.

2) You could go right past the router straight into the modem if you like, but I'd advise against this. The router acts as a firewall, which protects your networked devices. Since we can tell that the router isn't the issue I doubt this will work. Might still be worth a try though, computers are bonkers sometimes.

3) I'm not sure what you're doing with the IP Addresses since we know that you can connect and work, you just lose the DNS at random. One thing you might want to try doing is setting your IP Address settings to "Dynamic", going into Command Line and typing in "IPConfig /release" to release your IP address (You will lose connection to the network), and then typing in "IPConfig /renew", which will request a new IP Address. You will likely get the same IP Address you had before, though, with a renewed lease.

I'm a bit confused to the layout of your network now. Does it go: Internet <-> Modem <-> Router <-> Switch <-> Connected Devices? I just want to be sure we aren't talking about two different things thinking we're on the same page, is all.

I think we can safely assume that the router isn't the issue at this point based merely on the fact that none of your other devices are having issues. The fact that it just drops your DNS server for no apparent reason in the middle of using it makes me think there's something wrong either with your connection physically, or yeah, on the Operating System side. First check Windows Update for any updates that haven't run yet, as deferred updates could cause problems... When your DNS server goes out, try pinging your router's IP Address. Since your router's your DNS server, if you can't reach the router then you know for a fact that it's something between it and your computer. Maybe try plugging directly into the router instead of the switch in the closet.

OK, when the problem pops up again (seems completely random) I will try some of your methods. I only was going to try bypassing the router just to see if it worked, and I was just relaying that the ISP modem/router gives me a 10.x.x.x address instead of the usual 192.x.x.x, so I thought maybe that would fix it. I have been constantly checking the lease though to see if the disconnect corresponds to the expiration but so far it has been renewing before the expiration date, and no disconnects either. My IP address is dynamic still, never changed it yet as I was waiting for the problem again (though I did change to static during it one time which didn't fix it, but maybe if it was working at the time it was static it would work?) Also, I think I mention it, but I can ping 8.8.8.8 and my router gateway 192.168.1.1 even with this problem, just can't ping a website or nslookup (though I have yet to try another poster's method of nslookup "site" 8.8.8.8). Also, I am pretty sure I tried renewing once but I don't remember, so I will try again.

And yeah you have the layout is correct if I am not mistaken; ISP cable plugs into modem, my router connects to that, then I have a cable that supposedly connects the router to a switch which then distributes lines to the rest of the rooms in the house, which is what I plug my PC into. and trying to plug directly into the router is a good idea, but will require me getting a pretty long cable, so will try that last if needed. Thanks for attempting to help though, this is sure a strange problem, and I just got a new Windows update two nights ago, so who knows.

sharp461

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014
An update: Computer was working fine since my last post on May 6th, but finally happened again last night on the 21st. I shut off my PC though to go to bed and the issue was still there when I turned on my PC later (possibly due to Windows Fast Startup) so I restarted normally and issue is gone. When I lost internet, I checked the lease time and it was about 4-5 hours after my ip renewed, and it wasn't supposed to expire until the next day. I also tried bypassing the router just to see what happens, and I still got nothing (and yes I renewed IP again as the PC did not pick up the new IP by itself). I also checked my Netgear Genie on my PC to see that it supposedly says I'm connected o the router, but trying to log in says it can't find it. In fact,. I can't log into my router through my browser either when this problem happens, yet I can still ping stuff and the router does say I am connected with an IP and everything. I am definitely leaning towards windows at fault, but what in Windows could actually cause this?