Windows 10 Random Freezes on Gigabyte's MotherBoard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2018
Hello!

So a month ago, I changed my old gigabyte motherboard because I had bluescreen problems (from northbridge).

Since I put my new Gigabyte motherboard (GA-970A-DS3P FX (rev. 2.1)), no more BS, but instead, random freezes that happen during random times. Sometimes it can be 2 days with no freeze like it can be twice a day.

When it freezes, the only solution is to force the shutdown (my keyboard and mouse still light up (DeathAdder and BlackWidow2)). And when I check the EventViewer, there's nothing ( only the forced shut down).

Most of the times, it freezes when I'm on Overwatch or Google chrome (Twitter and Youtube).

I've pretty much tried everything

-Updating hardwares (as far as I know they're all up to date)
-Memory Test
-Set the "Turn off hard disk after" to 0
-Reinstall windows 3 times

and much more.

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P FX (rev. 2.1)
CPU: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.50Ghz
WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC (SATA AHCI, used to be in RAID)
Graphic Card: Nvidia GTX 960

I really need to fix this problem asap. It's been a month and I don't want my computer to crash while I'm doing school work...

This is my first time posting on this forum so If I forgot something, let me now.

Sorry for poor english

Thanks!

Solution
As a last resort I would consider perhaps a fresh install of Windows to eliminate possible OS or software bugs although generally those yield blue screens and not freezes.

If you have another graphics card I suggest trying it. Other than that, I believe the issue is likely a failing primary component such as the motherboard. If you don't have a spare AM3+ motherboard, CPU, PSU, or graphics card it may be best to take it to a shop and have them run the diagnostic for you. You don't want to buy parts guessing which one it is, especially when that money could be spent on a newer system.

jr9

Estimable
I would download OCCT and run CPU, GPU, and PSU stress tests. One of your primary components is failing or overheating. I would not rule out the motherboard either. Report your max CPU and GPU temps.

It's probably not the RAM.

1. In the BIOS, do the RAM speed, timings and voltage settings exactly match your G.SKILL Ripjaws memory?
2. Do you have enough free space on your hard drives, or are they close to full?
3. Do you have a Windows page file (Virtual memory) set up?
4. In "Device Manager > Power Options" is your computer set to "Balanced"?
5. When your computer freezes, how long do you wait before you force a shutdown? Can it unfreeze on it's own if you wait?

Feb 20, 2018

Doing tests right now, gonna post results when it's done.

1. Yes
2. Yes (Just done a clean install without keeping my personnal files)
3 Not at the moment, but I've tried it with no success
4. High Performance
5. One time, I waited 30min. Did not unfreeze

Feb 20, 2018

I've test them no issues, my Max temp for GPU is 45 and for CPU 30

jr9

Estimable
As a last resort I would consider perhaps a fresh install of Windows to eliminate possible OS or software bugs although generally those yield blue screens and not freezes.

If you have another graphics card I suggest trying it. Other than that, I believe the issue is likely a failing primary component such as the motherboard. If you don't have a spare AM3+ motherboard, CPU, PSU, or graphics card it may be best to take it to a shop and have them run the diagnostic for you. You don't want to buy parts guessing which one it is, especially when that money could be spent on a newer system.

Solution
Feb 20, 2018

Gonna let you now, thanks for the advice

make sure you have updated the motherboard sound drivers.
generally you should also provide the memory dump from c:\windows\minidump directory

if the problem is coming form the USB subsystem you would have to change the memory dump to kernel a and the file c:\windows\memory.dmp file so errors in the USB subsystem could be looked at.
(old drivers acting on USB data not intended for them, firmware issues in hardware, ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.