Windows 10 randomly restarting

tempacc1234

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
So I've been having this problem for over a week now.
Basically whenever I play a more demanding game, my computer just randomly shuts down. It's more like a random power loss shutdown rather than an actual proper shutdown. I thought this might be the cause of a dying CPU/GPU/PSU but after running a stress test for the CPU and GPU simultaneously I'm not so sure anymore. The stress tests I ran were FurMark and the CPU Burner included.
I've had this happen to me in games like Overwatch, 7 Days to Die and CS:GO.
It also happened a few times while running 3DMark but it takes a longer time before it actually shuts down while running this than Overwatch for example.
The temperatures at the times of shutting down aren't especially high. CPU at around 40C and GPU lower than 70C.
In the Event Viewer I get an error after the shutdown with Event ID 6008 but all the description says about this is "The previous system shutdown at [time] on [date] was unexpected."
I've run a virus scanner but after cleaning up the problem still occurs.

tempacc1234

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

It restarts. I thought claiming it restarted might be redundant so I left that part out but you are right it was unclear.

Prazzic

Commendable
May 3, 2016

I had the exact same issue with my computer. However, it would restart at any time (Google Chrome, Low-Demanding Game, High Demanding, etc...) The only thing I did was I updated my graphics card drivers to the latest version. Also, I updated every driver on my computer, Rebooted, and I've never had a restart since.

tempacc1234

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

I've tried that as well. I also tried reverting my graphics card driver to an earlier version, to one from before this problem occurred and that didn't help either. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Vexaro

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Could be a PSU overload that the PSU can't handle so it just restarts. I had this problem, and I have a 350W PSU.
What wattage is your PSU?

Prazzic

Commendable
May 3, 2016

How did you go about updating your drivers? What software did you use?

tempacc1234

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

My power supply is 750W so I would think that that would be enough. Also I would think that when I run a stress test of both my CPU and GPU at the same time my computer would restart as well, but it didn't.

tempacc1234

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

I did everything manually
I haven't updated my BIOS though. I'm afraid I'll screw up or something

Vexaro

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
"My power supply is 750W so I would think that that would be enough. Also I would think that when I run a stress test of both my CPU and GPU at the same time my computer would restart as well, but it didn't."
That's strange. How old is your power supply?

tempacc1234

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

It's almost 1.5 years old

Prazzic

Commendable
May 3, 2016

I really want to know how you updated your drivers. (Don't do it in Device Manager) Use a software to update them, there are lots that will. Also, update your cpu drivers primarily. that seemed to do the trick for me.

tempacc1234

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

I updated my video card drivers using the GeForce Experience and I went to the download site of my motherboard manufacturer (ASRock) and downloaded those drivers. I uninstalled the drivers one by one through Control Panel and reinstalled the drivers one by one as well. That's all the drivers I could think of.

Prazzic

Commendable
May 3, 2016

Update your CPU drivers. Also, If you are updating your drivers in Device Manager, it won't do anything.

tempacc1234

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

How would you recommend I do that?

awsmack

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

As I'm having the same issue on a decent ~1.5 yr old build, may I ask how you determined this? Voltages seem fine in BIOS; heat's ok. I keep seeing PSU as the probable issue on all forums, but I'd like to be sure before blindly replacing a fairly new and decent quality piece of hardware.

TRENDING THREADS