Question Windows 10 randomly slows

Dec 8, 2019
Hello there. I´m having a weird problem with my computer, and maybe you can help me. You have, in the past: I solved many minor issues with the advices posted here, so first of all, thanks for that. But now I might use some more specific help.

So, this is the thing. My Windows 10 started to randomly slow down some months ago. That´s basically it. It didn´t get better after rebooting, and a year had passed since the last Windows install, so I did a clean installation. But still the same problem, even after the first rebooting - and no extra software installed. I thought it was the updates, so I stopped them. But nothing. Same after a new installation with full updates. A third attempt at a clean install was directed to find a driver conflict. I learned that Windows was wrongly updating some drivers, so I stopped that, and installed the correct drivers everywhere. Still the same. I checked the HD health with some software I don´t remember: it was fine; as a matter of fact, the only task that is not slowed down is HD writing: I can copy or download files at normal speed, but everything else, including opening the start menu, is slowed to turtle speed. I use Avira antivirus, and checked for malware with Malware bytes; also nothing. I also checked the event viewer, but there are of course many errors there, and I can´t identify which could be relevant, even focusing on those that occurred when the slowing starts.

I got out of ideas, and let it be. The system eventually returns to normal, usually after a couple hours. And after some weeks, the thing just went away for months. But today is back. It just doesn´t make any sense.
Despite the general uncertainty of it all, I have been able to identify what seem to be (maybe) triggers of the event: sometimes it happens when I plugged an external monitor (already checked for GPU drivers); sometimes, when the system goes into suspension. However, sometimes I plug the monitor or suspend the system and nothing happens, and sometimes it starts without noticeable triggers.

Some facts: the computer is a Dell Inspiron laptop, 7000 series. CPU: i7-7500U GPU: Intel 620.

If someone has any idea, I´ll be happy to read it.
Thanks in advance,

Nicholas

Dec 8, 2019
Hi, thanks for the reply.

-Yes, it has a 500 (or 512)GB SSD.
-12GB RAM
-CPU temp looks like an issue, but I don´t think that´s the problem. It goes around 40C/104F in idle (maybe less, that was just a quick check) and climbs up to 55C/131F in activity, with an usage under 20%. However, it happens that when the slowing starts, I might turn it off for hours, then turn it on, and the thing is still there. And it can recover anytime, including moments with high CPU usage.
-By the way, usage of resources look fine: CPU usually under 10% in idle, an doesn´t go up 25% in activity; RAM usage is normally under 30%, and HD usually at 1%.

It´s really perplexing.

Dec 8, 2019
It just did it again... it´s driving me mad. This time, the trigger seemed to be plugging it to the laptop charger (or maybe, unplugging it to use wireless some minutes before).

Any ideas?

Dec 8, 2019
Hi there. Some more info, just in case anybody can help. I realized the slowing down usually comes after plugging or unplugging the notebook to the power adapter. Not the only trigger, as I mentioned, but probably the most repeated.
Anything would help. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS