Windows 10 Rant

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ArasTM

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Hi,
now how do I start this...
Windows 10 for me was a bad experience. I'm a power user, I like to have control in what I do and generally know why things are the way they are, also I just dislike when something doesn't work, even when I don't use it.

And when features do work, they're often insanely messy and look very badly implemented.

Let's say I want to go install something in a game's directory and my game launcher is located on the start menu, I can right click it -> More -> Open File Location, then I'm greeted with a folder where the start menu shortcut is located rather than the actual place of the application.

50% of the time start menu looks completely transparent and blurry and there's nothing on it, I haven't found anyone with an identical problem.

What's the deal with two control panels / settings? It would look like microsoft really wanted to implement that settings menu and ditch control panel, but ran out of time and had to leave it.
Image:
kILHHMB.png

And this gets so confusing let's say I want to disable most apps from running in the background, there are little to no options like this in control panel, so I try to find something in the settings panel, of course it'll be under System because this is about system and applications of it, what else have we got, apps and features, found it... nope completely different thing with very similar settings.
Here:
5LqLhoa.png

Let's try using the search, let's write background apps:
stOLO2r.png

It shows this, clearly indicating that these options are under System settings, so I probably missed something, haven't I? Once you click it it opens Privacy settings and the name of the page is completely different as well...
bVC9m66.png

Moving on:

Bing does not work, no matter what browser I try to use it on and also Edge doesn't work either, so Cortana is mostly useless. Google barely works as well, none of the features like unit conversion or something work, there's an old layout to it as well, image viewer has no options, and etc.
Attaching an image for that:
iE8TXgy.png

Just while writing this I've noticed another thing, using the snipping tool and saving the image to desktop requires me to right click and hit refresh so that I could see the file on desktop, again why?

Performance...

Take a note my PC is decent, I recently invested quite a bit into it and got myself an i7 6700, 24 gb of ram, GTX 690, 2 hdd drives, no ssd's yet.

The performance is the same or even worse as my 4gb RAM, intel pentium (dual core old one) windows 7 computer which is ridiculous.

One of the worst things is the background processes. There are hundreds of those. And they're not related to running applications, it's just utter trash like random microsoft applications: calculator, music player, search (which doesn't even work), loads of stuff related to printers while I don't even have one, settings, other apps you ran not too long ago, also chrome has like 20 processes (though it's not a windows 10 that much).
Image :
SbJOPoB.png

I generally like the simplistic design and some "new" ideas like some features from Linux (Desktops, quick multitasking and etc) but this OS is barely useable in my case.

Feel free to add to this post, or if you have any solution for these problems / are experiencing those as well, let me know, I'll appreciate it. c:

Regards.

Mod Edit for Language

ArasTM

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

Such threads must exist just for the sake of improvement. If no users will complain about issues, very little of those issues will be fixed.

You said that everybody is having these issues. This is not true as several other people have pointed out to you.

I understand that this is a public forum and everybody has their own opinions, but when you state your opinion in the form of a fact, expect to be called out on it. Your experience has helped form your opinion, but your experience does not NECESSARILY match everybody else's opinion.

ArasTM

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

Have you read what I wrote? If so, have you read my post? I said that most of other problems persist on all windows 10 pc's for example the thing with shitload of processes, messy control / settings panels, wrong labeling of settings panels in the start, going to shortcut location in the start menu.

pbug56

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
If you have all sorts of running apps that shouldn't be running, than your system sounds like a huge mess. Apps like calc don't start on their own. My feeling is that you ought to copy all data, etc. off your system drive, and then reinstall Win 10 (most current version wiping out all apps, etc. (not data or personal files), then reinstall the added apps you really need. Obviously save things like product keys where applicable before redoing Windows.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
The only part of this I will comment on and try to debunk: background processes. I've been working with MS OS's from MS-DOS days>95>98>XP(all three service packs)>Vista>7>8>8.1 and now 10. There've always been a lot of background processes/services. Towards its end, I witnessed XP having upwards of 60 and a minimum of 40. From 7 on I noticed an average of 70-100 depending on how much is installed and running.

The interface may look different and uncomfortable, but the background processes are not even close to being a '10' thing. They've always been there. These days people like having dozens of apps, windows, pages open at the same time. These additional threads will create many more entries in the lists. If you want less, then use less. The 10 entries of google chrome in your snapshot was a good hint of this kind of behavior.

It doesn't matter if your team red or green as both companies now install and have around 6-12 apps running in the background. Install a printer(any big name brand) and use the install disc you get another dozen added on. Install a camera, another dozen. Install a specialized keyboard, mouse, game pad, and another dozen. Use a prebuilt PC or laptop and you get around 2 dozen bloatware apps in the background. The only way around is to do clean install and manually install your own devices. That can be tricky and take a lot of time, but once done the PC will usually run better and have less junk in the background. Just make sure you have all the needed drivers on a flash beforehand. The math isn't hard and its still not just a '10' thing.

If you really want the customized minimalistic experience then start from scratch with the least amount of features installed available on a Linux system. It can be done, will take some time, but is its own reward. RockyBennett's post's are a great example of this more evolved approach. This is really the only recourse left for someone who doesn't want the AIO approach most big name companies are shelling out. It's not just a '10' thing. I'm not a huge fan of 10 but to me its just another OS. They come, they go.

ArasTM

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

I remember Windows 7 having around 20 processes at idle, I can't even get close to that on windows 10 and I've installed significantly less apps which should run in the background. Though thanks for pointing these numbers out c:

ArasTM

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

It doesn't start randomly, it's not a running application it's a background process.

John J Miller

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015

No you didn't do a clean install of Win 10! If you had there would be no "control panel" ONLY settings would be available! Control Panel is ONLY from Windows 7, it's not available from Windows 10

John Miller
Asst. National IT Manager
Mobile Systems Wireless

USAFRet

Titan

No, there is still a Control Panel in Win 10. Preinstalled, Upgrade, or clean install.

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013

ArasTM , as many have stated, your installation media might have been corrupted. I understand that some stuff you mentionned are not related to a corrupted install, but some are. So long as you resist trying what Colif suggested, nobody should even be replying / helping you. TRY IT! It's not as if you could declare a world war by trying. It will either tell you you have a corrupted install, in which case you can try the restorehelth command, or you'll know everything is fine OS side, and perhaps something isn't running as it should hardware side. As simple as that.

TRENDING THREADS