[SOLVED] Windows 10 reboots to a reset bios

pygesux

Honorable
Dec 15, 2014
So I built a new PC and it's generally running fine. However, sometimes it just completely shuts down and then reboots to BIOS or a message asking me to press f1 or f2 to either setup system or use defaults. Pressing f2 goes straight to windows and f1 goes to the bios. Both cases all previous bios settings are reset. The reboots so far only seem to happen when my system is idle or I'm just browsing chrome. No issues while playing games. I have tried looking at the windows event viewer but it only says unexpected reboot.
It seems to me like the CMOS is randomly being cleared but I do not know how to troubleshoot this. I've also noticed once that my M.2 drive was not showing up anymore so tried installing it in a different slot but sadly no improvements.

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
MOBO: MSI MEG ACE x570
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16 @ 3600 Hz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900xt
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 850
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo
HDD: WD Black 4Tb

Solution
I'd perhaps do your testing with slightly lower RAM speed within XMP, perhaps a more conservative 3200 MHz....just to rule out a RAM oddity.

Maybe try another BIOS battery, and, if no change, I'd begin to wonder if the chosen PSU can handle the rapidly changing load/current requirements of a 5900X/6900XT combo...,even if total watts available so it 'should be OK'...; that PSU might not cut it with certain mainboard/CPU/GPU combos...

You might experiment with slightly underclocking your GPU and/or CPU, see if the 100 watts less instantaneous peak loads improve stability....
I'd perhaps do your testing with slightly lower RAM speed within XMP, perhaps a more conservative 3200 MHz....just to rule out a RAM oddity.

Maybe try another BIOS battery, and, if no change, I'd begin to wonder if the chosen PSU can handle the rapidly changing load/current requirements of a 5900X/6900XT combo...,even if total watts available so it 'should be OK'...; that PSU might not cut it with certain mainboard/CPU/GPU combos...

You might experiment with slightly underclocking your GPU and/or CPU, see if the 100 watts less instantaneous peak loads improve stability....

Solution

pygesux

Honorable
Dec 15, 2014
Would the load/current requirement even be a problem when the system is idle?

I currently swapped the CMOS battery with another one. Will report back if this improves the stability

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS