[SOLVED] Windows 10 recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisananda

Reputable
Oct 31, 2016
I'm planning on building a new PC. I will do a fresh install of Windows 10 on my new SSD (not M.2) in the new build. This SSD will be the priority drive. I want to transfer all of my programs to my new build from my 1 TB M.2 currently installed in my old computer. What do you think is the best way to do this?

Solution
What about items that are not programs like microsoft office; but photos, videos, word documents, things of that nature?
Those things are just fine.

The only problem you might run into is where they are.
If those things are in the Libraries....Documents/Pictures/Videos...then you'll run into a fixable permissions issue.
The permissions on the Libraries are tied to the original user.
And easy workaround is, before you decommission the old system....copy all that data off to some other storage place. Just the files, not the actual "Library".

ex: the /Users/<lewisanada>/Documents carries the permissions. The files within it do not.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm planning on building a new PC. I will do a fresh install of Windows 10 on my new SSD (not M.2) in the new build. This SSD will be the priority drive. I want to transfer all of my programs to my new build from my 1 TB M.2 currently installed in my old computer. What do you think is the best way to do this?
Can't transfer "programs" from the old drive and OS to the new.

Reinstall them.

lewisananda

Reputable
Oct 31, 2016
I should have been more clear. I will not be installing my M.2 with Windows 10 installed to the new computer, but only programs on the M.2. One thought was I would delete the Windows 10 folder from my M.2 while I have it in my old computer leaving only my programs. Then install the M.2 (less Windows 10) in my new computer. I assume deleting the Windows 10 folder should remove all traces of Windows 10 from the M.2? Thanks for your advice. Lewis

USAFRet

Titan
I should have been more clear. I will not be installing my M.2 with Windows 10 installed to the new computer, but only programs on the M.2. One thought was I would delete the Windows 10 folder from my M.2 while I have it in my old computer leaving only my programs. Then install the M.2 (less Windows 10) in my new computer. I assume deleting the Windows 10 folder should remove all traces of Windows 10 from the M.2? Thanks for your advice. Lewis
" leaving only my programs"

This also will not work.

The fresh install OS will know nothing about these. All the Registry entries do not exist.

lewisananda

Reputable
Oct 31, 2016
Well, maybe the best way to do it is to copy all of the programs (less Windows) to my external hard drive (copy and paste to the Ex. drive). I would not use back up software, just direct copy and paste. Then initialize the M.2 so it's clean, then install it in the new computer and copy and paste the programs off my external drive to the M.2. A bit convoluted but I think that should work. Thoughts?

USAFRet

Titan
What about items that are not programs like microsoft office; but photos, videos, word documents, things of that nature?
Those things are just fine.

The only problem you might run into is where they are.
If those things are in the Libraries....Documents/Pictures/Videos...then you'll run into a fixable permissions issue.
The permissions on the Libraries are tied to the original user.
And easy workaround is, before you decommission the old system....copy all that data off to some other storage place. Just the files, not the actual "Library".

ex: the /Users/<lewisanada>/Documents carries the permissions. The files within it do not.

Solution

lewisananda

Reputable
Oct 31, 2016
Thanks for your reply. I assume I could transfer all data like photos, videos, word documents, etc. but not programs like Microsoft office, X-Plane 11 etc. Those programs I would have to reinstall.

As X-Plane exists in its own folder and does not use the registry you CAN copy the entire X-Plane folder from one system to another. You only have to ensure that that folder does not live in a system owned path (such as the root of the C drive or in "Program Files" and such). This is well outlined in the X-Plane documentation.

lewisananda

Reputable
Oct 31, 2016
I see. So folders like photos, word docs, videos, etc. should not be a problem to transfer. I will install X-Plane in it's own dedicated M.2 drive and not in program files on the C drive. This will be the only copy of X-Plane on my computer. But I will have to reinstall Microsoft office (these types of programs) because this uses the registry? Thanks for your help.

USAFRet

Titan
I see. So folders like photos, word docs, videos, etc. should not be a problem to transfer. I will install X-Plane in it's own dedicated M.2 drive and not in program files on the C drive. This will be the only copy of X-Plane on my computer. But I will have to reinstall Microsoft office (these types of programs) because this uses the registry? Thanks for your help.
As said earlier, the Library "folders" are an issue. And only in the context of Permissions.
The contents of those Libraries are not an issue.

..... I will install X-Plane in it's own dedicated M.2 drive and not in program files on the C drive. This will be the only copy of X-Plane on my computer....
NO. X-Plane is intended to be installed and run from a folder on your desktop. Do NOT place it in the root of any drive or you WILL have problems. This is all outlined in their documentation. I've been running X-Plane since Version 8 and have seen, many times over the years, the problems that occur by not following Laminar's recommendations as to installation location.

Status
Not open for further replies.