[SOLVED] Windows 10 Reinstall, HDD Take too long to Format

Jun 6, 2019
So i as the title say, I am reinstalling Windows 10 on my new pc(i had for a week). The reason I'm reinstalling it is because my pc started having the Disk 100% problem. So inserted the win 10 bootable which i created using Media creation tool and put it on my pc, everything goes smooth until i reached the Windows setup where you format/delete/partition, so i formated the HDD i use but it taking a long time already probably 5 hours already and it's still not done yet. The HDD don't have much files or installed programs. If i remember it has still 850gb storage left. And btw I use WD Blue 1TB HDD. Now i wonder if what is the problem? Is it the HDD? I don't have much knowledge about computers so any opinion helps.

Solution
Well 100% disk utilization isn't a problem, it just means your drive is being 100% utilized by a program or update. If you want to see better read and write speeds, and lower load times and disk utilization overall, get a Solid State Drive. They use the same SATA interface as a Hard Disk Drive, though they come in 2.5" size instead of 3.5". So if you are using a laptop then this would be a non-issue. If you are using a desktop then you may want to get a 2.5" to 3.5" drive bay for the drive. If it is a desktop you could also use your HDD for storage and just use the SSD for windows, meaning, you could get a smaller drive and save money.

If you don't want to buy a SSD, then you will just have to format the HDD and wait. Then install...
Jun 6, 2019
It really doesn't matter how many files are on your hdd or how much free space there was. A full format from a USB 2.0 to a SATA 1 TB hard drive can take up to 10 hours.
So i have to wait for 5 hours more. Thank you for informing me. I'm about to become crazy about it since it's taking for too long.

Last edited:
Well 100% disk utilization isn't a problem, it just means your drive is being 100% utilized by a program or update. If you want to see better read and write speeds, and lower load times and disk utilization overall, get a Solid State Drive. They use the same SATA interface as a Hard Disk Drive, though they come in 2.5" size instead of 3.5". So if you are using a laptop then this would be a non-issue. If you are using a desktop then you may want to get a 2.5" to 3.5" drive bay for the drive. If it is a desktop you could also use your HDD for storage and just use the SSD for windows, meaning, you could get a smaller drive and save money.

If you don't want to buy a SSD, then you will just have to format the HDD and wait. Then install Windows and wait. Then run setup and wait. Then boot your computer and wait. Then load your browser and wait. Why does it take longer on a Hard Disk Drive? Well HDDs take longer because they can't access data in separate locations across the disk due to the moving parts. A Solid State Drive contains no moving parts but instead uses flash memory to read and write across the entire disk at once. Meaning, less latency, lower load times and better desktop performance overall. The fact that you are using a HDD instead of a SSD will make the entire computer feel like it's super old when it's brand new.

Solution
Jun 6, 2019

If you don't want to buy a SSD, then you will just have to format the HDD and wait. Then install Windows and wait. Then run setup and wait. Then boot your computer and wait. Then load your browser and wait. Why does it take longer on a Hard Disk Drive? Well HDDs take longer because they can't access data in separate locations across the disk due to the moving parts. A Solid State Drive contains no moving parts but instead uses flash memory to read and write across the entire disk at once. Meaning, less latency, lower load times and better desktop performance overall. The fact that you are using a HDD instead of a SSD will make the entire computer feel like it's super old when it's brand new.
Thanks for this, it helped me to understand alot. I'll be getting SSD soon.