Windows 10 Reinstall

Furanot

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016
I bought Windows 8 a few years back, worked brilliantly, although I wasn't really fond of it. I later upgraded to Windows 10, which I love! And last week, I bought a SSD, and then things started to go horribly wrong with disk cloning and such. I've still got my Windows 8 install disk laying around somewhere, and I wonder: If I do a clean install fom the Win8 disk, will I be able to upgrade to Win10 again?

Solution
If you updated before you changed to SSD, don't even worry about the key. When you get to screen in install that asks for key, just hit the button that says "I don't have one" and Win 10 will auto activate based on your machine already having been activated. Microsoft save your pc details on a database, normally it fixes itself up after install.

USB/DVD seems more logical in that case :)

Furanot

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016

Should I make an ISO or just download it on my desktop? My desktop is crashing constantly, so I think its best to boot from a media disk or usb stick.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you updated before you changed to SSD, don't even worry about the key. When you get to screen in install that asks for key, just hit the button that says "I don't have one" and Win 10 will auto activate based on your machine already having been activated. Microsoft save your pc details on a database, normally it fixes itself up after install.

USB/DVD seems more logical in that case :)

Solution

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
why do you want to install this piece of crap malware called win 10....get win7 and you will be better off...i installed win 10 and 8...some of the drivers did not work at all even if they were developed to work with win 10 or 8....reinstalled win 7 and everything worked as designed....plus, windows 10 connects to Microsoft servers all the time, they piggyback off your computer for updates, system will wake up from sleep mode without doing anything...why do you think they give it to you for free...it's a government conspiracy to get control over everyone's systems

gergguy

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013

Yes, download the ISO and boot from either DVD or USB stick.