[SOLVED] Windows 10 Reload - Data Drive folder Access issue

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
I reloaded Windows 10 to an SSD drive. When this operations was being done, I pulled the SATA cables from 2 "Data" hard drives.

After the reload, I reconnected both HDDs that were visible. I downloaded and used the Take Ownership Restore Ownership app.

The tool chokes and states "Some or all identity references cannot be translated" . Through the Secirty tab, I am able to take ownership of folders but I am unable to eliminate 'remnant' Users/ Groups that were generated with the new system. E.G. Account Unknown - S-1-5-( long string of digits)

Is there ANOTHER utility out there to fix this? If not can someone suggest a painful, manual method to kill this orphaned account from the folders and associated files?

Solution
I don't think you can get rid of old user profiles just like that.

And also, I suggest you use Windows own tool to take ownership of folders. Just remember to make the changes and make subfolders inherit those changes.

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Phillip,
You were right. Take Ownership did not do the trick. Rather than going through many folders and sub-folders, I copied the contents from this disk partition onto My Desktop. Once the files and folders hit my Desktop, the orphaned profile was eliminated on everything.

Next I deleted then recreated a new My Documents partition and copied everything back .

System, All Administrators and my Admin profile have Full Control. When I plan to do a Windows reinstall in the future, would it be beneficial to make Everyone the owner of all files and folders on the Data Drives/partitions to prevent another abandoned profile?

By the way, I have been using a killer tool called Beyond Compare to manipulate file comparisons and movements. It is developed by Scooter software.

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
I don't think you can get rid of old user profiles just like that.

And also, I suggest you use Windows own tool to take ownership of folders. Just remember to make the changes and make subfolders inherit those changes.

Sorry about the SUPER LATE response. I appreciate this and will have to deal with this problem again in the near future. Thanks.