[SOLVED] Windows 10 - Remove Everything HDD for Selling

rajvir

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2013
Going to be getting my new custom built Computer tomorrow and after I confirm everything's restored properly on the new computer which is just the User Files, I plan on using the Windows 10 feature to wipe my current computer in preparation for selling it.

I did some research and I saw that the advanced feature has an option for removing everything and formatting the computer to make it harder to ever restore any of my user files.

I currently use an HDD, so it seems like this should be good enough, as if it was SSD I'd need to see if it was Encrypted first.

That said this feature looks like it automatically reinstalls Windows afterwards if I'm reading the guides right which makes me a little worried, as all of the prior formatting I looked at erased absolutely everything and required a fresh Windows 10 Boot through a USB.

Has anyone else used the Windows 10 formatting feature, and is it as secure as formatting your computer through something else?

rajvir

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2013
Are you including the OS license with the sale of this PC?
I'd be happy to do so, as my new Computer will have a different Licence but I suspect that Wiping Everything will automatically get rid of the current OS License.

I still have the Electronic Receipt which has my Windows 8.1 serial number, but I highly doubt that's my OS License.

It's been 7 years since I built my computer, and I've long since lost the DVD installing Windows as well as it's OS License number.

I suppose I could try calling Microsoft and asking, but I'm not sure that'd have much results.

That said, if leaving the OS intact leaves even the slightest increased risk of my own files being restored, than I'd rather just nuke everything and simply reinstall Windows OS without a Liscence.

rajvir

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2013
You just need to remove that system and License from your MS account.

Basically, do a clean install (delete ALL existing partitions).
Do this with the system disconnected from your network.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...nt-selling-gifting-windows-10-device-xbox-one

You can discover the existing license key with Belarc Advisor.
Give that to the new owner.
I only have the C Drive so Partitions isn't something I need to worry about.

Thank you for the Belarc Advisor, I used it to get my license key successfully.

You think I should give the license key directly to the customer instead so that they can add it?

I guess it is more authentic that way, but I would have expected they'd be bored by it.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I only have the C Drive so Partitions isn't something I need to worry about.

Thank you for the Belarc Advisor, I'll use it to get my OM number so that I can add it when I reinstall Windows.

You think I should give the OM number directly to the customer instead so that they can add it?

I guess it is more authentic that way, but I would have expected they'd be bored by it.
Yes, give them the license key.
That is actually a required thing when transferring a license.

And for 'only the C drive"...there are actually 2 or 3 partitions on that drive.
ALL of them need to go when doing a clean install.

Reactions: rajvir