Question Windows 10 Repair with Media Recovery Tool Freezes on Blue Screen

Jan 8, 2023
Hello,

I made the mistake of powering my PC off in the middle of it attempting to shut down and then I started getting the blinking underscore black screen instead of booting. After following some YouTube tutorials I concluded that it was likely a OS problem given what I had done to cause the problem in the first place and that the Ctrl+Alt+Delete function still worked to restart from the blinking screen. I downloaded the media creation tool on my laptop and installed it to an 8GB flash drive and then manually booted to the USB stick. I made it past the first two screens where I selected the language options and stuff and then clicked "repair." Instead of taking me to the options screen it just freezes on this blue screen (see image). Any ideas of what could be causing this problem? My two leading theories are that the USB stick is too old or doesn't have enough space or that the SSD boot drive is too low on space as well (less than 20GB).

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
You're trying to do a full WIn 10 wipe and reinstall?

Booting from a properly created install USB, the "free space" on the current drive is irrelevant. You'd be deleting ALL of it.

Unless you're trying to do something else.

Jan 8, 2023
You're trying to do a full WIn 10 wipe and reinstall?

No just trying to repair it. I'm following this tutorial. It looks like my computer is just moving at a snail's pace. I let the blue screen sit for about an hour and it finally went through. I've gotten to the part in the tutorial where I'm doing diskpart commands in the CMD window and it's going exponentially slower than the example in the tutorial. Is there any obvious causes that would make this happen?

Jan 7, 2023
No just trying to repair it. I'm following this tutorial. It looks like my computer is just moving at a snail's pace. I let the blue screen sit for about an hour and it finally went through. I've gotten to the part in the tutorial where I'm doing diskpart commands in the CMD window and it's going exponentially slower than the example in the tutorial. Is there any obvious causes that would make this happen?

Depends on the build was what I figured. When I first installed Windows 10 with the promo license in 2011 the installation always looked like it was going to brick on you and went about as slow as a 1gb of ram build.

Jan 8, 2023
Depends on the build was what I figured. When I first installed Windows 10 with the promo license in 2011 the installation always looked like it was going to brick on you and went about as slow as a 1gb of ram build.
Hmm yeah it shouldn't be the build. I'm not able to get the exact stats particularly easily since I can't boot up the PC but it's 32GB RAM + eight core CPU and all the works. The problem I'm having right now is that when I try to do the boot commands from the CMD window it returns a "the system cannot find the path specified" error.

Jan 7, 2023
Hmm yeah it shouldn't be the build. I'm not able to get the exact stats particularly easily since I can't boot up the PC but it's 32GB RAM + eight core CPU and all the works. The problem I'm having right now is that when I try to do the boot commands from the CMD window it returns a "the system cannot find the path specified" error.

I haven't had CMD replies like that since I had worked on my laptop for access to BIOS/UEIF. Are you using some sot of scan or trying to operate a repair program from CMD? I found the specified path reply kind of funny cause more often I get the internal or external command is not executable.