Windows 10 Repair with no recovery disc

Nareto

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 recently, and I have yet to create a recovery/repair disc. Stupidly, I changed some BIOS settings on my PC, not realizing it would mess with Windows. I can no longer boot into Windows, as it gives me the Boot Manager error in which winload.exe is corrupted and it tells me to use the installation disc my OS came with to repair it. Unfortunately, due to my upgrading to Windows 10, my Windows 7 installation disc does not work. I was wondering if there was a way to purchase a Windows 10 repair disc, or if there are any other ways of repairing windows. Thanks.

Nareto

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

It tells me that the version of windows is different than the one on the disc.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Why don't you download the ISO. If you did the upgrade your PC is already activated and you should be able to do a clean install. But it sounds like your boot manager is messed up.

If you have access to pc and can download this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyBCD you can look at and maybe fix the boot manager which is called the BCD Boot configuration Data.

British_and_Proud

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
If you can, try factory reset. When you upgrade to Windows 10, if you reset it, It will still stay as Windows 10. You don't need to reinstall Windows 10 if you perform a factory reset, however you will lose all your data.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

The problem isn't with Windows it's with the BIOS and boot manager isn't loading the OS. He needs to repair the boot manager. The message says use the install disk to repair the boot manager. Since you installed Windows 10 you need to try the Windows 10 ISO. During the install it will see that Windows 10 is installed and should ask if the wants to reinstall or repair. Then select repair.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Did you install by booting from the DVD or did you execute setup.exe?

Nareto

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

I originally installed 7 with the DVD.

The problem isn't with Windows it's with the BIOS and boot manager isn't loading the OS. He needs to repair the boot manager. The message says use the install disk to repair the boot manager. Since you installed Windows 10 you need to try the Windows 10 ISO. During the install it will see that Windows 10 is installed and should ask if the wants to reinstall or repair. Then select repair.

I did all this, but when I attempted to repair my OS with the Windoes 10 DVD I created, it tells me "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC"

Also, the Operating System shows up as Windows 7 when I get the original error, and also on the Win10 disc.

EDIT: I don't know if anyone just doesn't see that I replied, or if nobody knows how to solve my problem, but I haven't received a reply for two days.

Roy_2_

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Hello.. this can probably be resolved by doing a complete clean install of Windows 7. and then waiting for your notification to be able to upgrade to windows 10 again.

Anil Arora

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015

Hi I also have upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 recently and now I wish to have a System recovery CD/DVD or USB Flash drive for my future need if required or found anything wrong with my present windows.. Kindly tell what to do.

I also tried to burn a DVD by following "System Recovery Disk" option under File history and followed the procedure but at the end of the procedure , got a message that my DVD was successfully created. And when I restarted my PC and tried to check weather it has really been burned or not, found the there were nothing in the DVD. I tried thrice with different DVDs but found the same result.

Please help. Also please tell if I can make a USB Flash Bootable of it