Question Windows 10 repeatedly automatically installs wrong driver

Nov 27, 2020
I have a Lenovo laptop running windows 10 pro. The model laptop had a really bad touchpad and so I replaced it with a much better version from a newer model computer and manually installed the correct drivers. The problem I'm having is Windows keeps disregarding my manual driver install and replaces it with a generic synaptics pointing device. Every few days my touchpad stops working and I have to use device manager to manually select the correct driver and reboot.

I'm getting really tired of fixing the driver and need a way to force Microsoft to stop replacing my drivers. I've previously tried changing update settings, there was one setting about drivers but it seems that windows ignores them. I've tried some setting in the registry and even group policy(I have a person AD at home on my synology) and still windows replaces my drivers. Are there any options to completely kill windows driver installs that don't also break regular updates? I just want to freeze this one single driver and have windows never mess it. Please help

I have a Lenovo laptop running windows 10 pro. The model laptop had a really bad touchpad and so I replaced it with a much better version from a newer model computer and manually installed the correct drivers. The problem I'm having is Windows keeps disregarding my manual driver install and replaces it with a generic synaptics pointing device. Every few days my touchpad stops working and I have to use device manager to manually select the correct driver and reboot.

I'm getting really tired of fixing the driver and need a way to force Microsoft to stop replacing my drivers. I've previously tried changing update settings, there was one setting about drivers but it seems that windows ignores them. I've tried some setting in the registry and even group policy(I have a person AD at home on my synology) and still windows replaces my drivers. Are there any options to completely kill windows driver installs that don't also break regular updates? I just want to freeze this one single driver and have windows never mess it. Please help
- go into bios and see if there is hardware that supports the old device and see if it can be disabled in bios
if not, still go into bios and toggle any setting and it will rebuild the database of hardware settings it sends to windows.

-you can go into windows and start cmd.exe or powershell as an admin and dump the list of driver packages with the
pnputil.exe -e
this will list the driver packages on the system, you would then have to look at the list and get the name of the package you do not want to be installed again.
I would then stop windows plug and play system so you can remove the driver without it being reinstalled a few seconds later.
use
net .exe stop "plug and play"
(the quotes are requires since it has embedded spaces in the service name)
then you use the
pnputil.exe -d oemXX.inf
this will delete the driver from the hidden driverstore on your local machine. the oemxx.inf is the file you looked up that has your hardware driver package.

when you are done you would reboot the machine or just restart the windows plug and play subsystem by running
net.exe start "plug and play"

this should work as long as windows does not detect hardware that does not have a driver. you should look in windows control panel device manager to see if it is looking for a driver for some hardware.

you could also just turn off the plug and play service in service.exe but then the system would not detect other hardware related events until you turned it back on.

ASK THE COMMUNITY