Question Windows 10 restarts every 5 mins after BIOS update ?

Swa5931

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
kulakphoto.com
Hello!
Hope you are all having a great day today unlike I am. This morning I needed to update my bios due to a m.2 fix on my Asus Strix Z270f gaming motherboard. I updated it the flash 3 option via USB. I resetted it to optimized defaults, made sure everything was on legacy. F10 and rebooted. At first it wouldn't even pop up w10 and just go back to the bios. Then came the Googling.

I've got it into safe mode then restarted it from there and it will now boot regularly but with restarts every 5 mins.

I've tried everything in the forums and book there is. To clearing the CMOS, to rolling back the drivers, using the other option opposite of raid (forgot the 4 letter term ), etc. Whats on the internet I've tried. Same issue arrises. The only thing I havent tried is popping in the disk that came with the motherboard because i.. i dont know if I can even get to the point of installing that bios from that disk.

I was wondering if anyone here who has had or has the asus z270f gaming board has found a solution for this pesky but valuable lesson i have ran into.

This is also not my first bios update either and the last worked fine, the one I rolled back to after this started happening.

Specs:
Asus strix Z270F gaming motherboard
Intel i7-6700k @4.01GHZ
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA (surprisingly enough it doesn't bottleneck)
16GB of viper gaming DDR4 ram
5 TB hDD 1 TB SSD m.2
EVGA 850W goldQ psu

Outdated but have to atleast get through this year with it til after Christmas before I start upgrading to the i9 processor and motherboard

Thanks in advance for all the help

Update#1: It only restarts after I demand a program to open from windows 10. I can stay as long as I want in the bios

Update#2 @928L (pst) :
So I remember that last time I did the bios update I had the Ram in the 2 signal way. A1 And B1 and read something that the certain bios version only worked on single band ram B1 and B2 so I switched it to B1 and A1 this time. Popped out the CMOS battery for approx 1.4 mins, popped it back. Plug everything back in and so far it has been stable for 6.25 mins as of rn. Im running a light tasks (notepad typing, excel, etc) to major more demanding tasks (photoshop, battlefield 4, P3D v5.2, etc)

Update#3 @934L (pst): well I made it to 11.25mins before windows refreshed automatically then 2 seconds later the computer hard resetted. Oddly enough when I go to my bios it said please set the M.2 to RAID. Which it shows me I can however it will not let me select the drive and press next in the EZ wizard.

Update#4 @ 1018L (pst):
Okay okay I'm getting to pointing it at possibly a driver issue. When im in the bios, windows repair mode, or safe mode the computer doesn't restart at all. However when I get into normal w10 operating mode and I call for a task thats when its restarts. Im now wondering if its a driver issue or power issue. I do not know how it would be a power issue considering I never had a problem before this

Update#5 @ 1039L(pst):
Well I kinda quit but before I did and almost went on Amazon to find a new MOBO I pressed CTRL+I to see what that does as its hot key (per manual) for RAID disable. So when the computer restarted i held down Crtl+I and so far 15.56 mins no crashes. I re-download the chipset driver and still no crashing. I will leave it on for a hr idle then start programs up. Looking so good so far!

Update#6 @ 1233L (pst):
So left it idle and now im flying a flight in a flight simulator and no crashes. Smooth and faster actually. I will check back in tomorrow for one last update it im running into the issue after I power it off tonight

Last edited:

Swa5931

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
kulakphoto.com
AHCI is the term you were looking for.

the installer disk from motherboard wouldn't include the BIOS anyway.

strange result regarding raid.
Yeah it was frustrating. The Z270F seems to have an auto enable RAID when upgrading to the newer BIOS updates. This will be my last update due to W11 and most likely my next build is coming up here shortly so probably will involve either AMD 5900x or the I9-12900k.

TRENDING THREADS