Windows 10 Risks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
What risks if any will there be in upgrading in terms of affecting your current system and any applications you have installed on it? (Windows 7 > Windows 10)

ninja85a

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
ive been running it for a short bit and it seems fine to me more fps then win 7 in certain games the only problem ive found is if i leave my pc locked for a bit like halk an hour when i log back on everything is closed and it logs on as if i just turned it on

Any new release is bound to have some initial issues, no matter how thorough the testing.
I plan to wait, at least a bit.
I see no compelling reason to jump in compared to windows 7.

I see a few potential issues:

1. Upgrade in place may not work for all apps.
2. I do not much like the tiled interface and I don't know how well the free classic shell apps will work.
3. I don't know if you can go back to windows 7 after the upgrade. Is your w7 activation code negated.
4. I have the windows 7 3 license family pack which has only one activation key. . I can't change them all at once; I need to know how that will work.
5. I can't imagine that Microsoft will not try to extract some sort of future maintenance or support fee in the future.
6. For security reasons might they insist that all apps come from their app store?

USAFRet

Titan

Most of those questions I will be testing once it is finally released.
How the upgrade works, how/if you can roll back to a prev install, Upgrade vs clean, etc, etc...

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Programs and drivers are a case by case issue. Everyone will be different.

Big developers like Adobe, Google, Mozilla etc will have been working on Windows 10 compatibility for months now and their programs should work from the get go. Smaller developers might not be up to speed meaning you have stability issues or worse the program flat out doesn't work until they release an update to fix compatibility, which could be months down the line.

Determine what programs are important to you and do some research if they are Windows 10 compatible yet.

And while you're at it do some research on hardware drivers. If you can't find Windows 10 compatible drivers for your hardware it's probably not a good idea to upgrade yet.

Also check out drivers for peripherals like Printers. I upgraded to Win 8 on release day and it was near 2 months before I could use the scanner on my printer because HP were slow in releasing new drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.