Windows 10 Rollback no longer appearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

taxemicshadow

Honorable
May 19, 2012
I was intending to roll back to 7 before the final release of 10 so that be licence carries over, but while I was in the windows leading up to the roll back I ended up clicking cancel on the last window. Now the option to "Revert back to Windows 7" is no longer there. I have tried rebooting and I am just now seeing if installing updates will bring it back, but if you guys have any idea how I may be able to get this function back it would be pretty rad. Hopefully I won't have to do a clean install of 7.

USAFRet

Titan

Not necessarily. The Tech Preview will roll over to the same final release, but if you want to continue to use Win 10 after (some date after) July 29, you must remain a participant in the Insider Program.
With all that entails....being a permanent beta tester.

To actually get Windows 10 free with no strings, you have to upgrade from a valid Win 7/8/8.1.

taxemicshadow

Honorable
May 19, 2012

I have been told that it will only be registered for 30 days after the official release due to the fact that that the Technical Preview can be loaded without a license. I guess we will find out in the coming days who is right.

USAFRet

Titan

If you remain a participant in the Insider Program, it will run for...forever?
If you opt out of the Insider Program, it will expire, probably on or before Oct 1.
If you upgrade from a valid Win 7/8/8.1, it will run forever.

taxemicshadow

Honorable
May 19, 2012

Microsoft should add a software client upon the official release of 10 that allows you to enter valid 7 and 8/8.1 registration keys to fully unlock your copy of 10 as a full version. It would just suck for me if I have to wipe my C: drive and reinstall 7 just to get an official 10 license.

USAFRet

Titan

They should, but they haven't. And probably won't.

taxemicshadow

Honorable
May 19, 2012

Sadly. I will try to get in contact with them directly in the coming days if the option does not reappear.

My understanding according to what I have read is if you have a Microsoft Account (not the local account) tied to your Windows 10 installation AND you had Windows 7/8.1 on your computer when you first installed the Windows 10 insiders builds, it should convert to a valid install.

If you installed from ISO (no Windows installation on the drive and/or you wiped the drive and installed from scratch), you have to remain a member of the insider program (it didn't validate from the previous Windows version). I don't know if this means you will get the builds/patches prior to everyone else and remain a beta tester, or if you will be on the "stable releases only". This was never put out....

Either way, the worst case scenario is that you have to reinstall Windows 7, then do the update.

USAFRet

Titan

That's a possibility. I had not heard that particular statement.

I think 99% of the problem is Microsoft is not very specific in details for anything - and the media is writing articles that confuse everyone in an attempt to force Microsoft to provide the details. It is very frustrating.

It is even more frustrating for those that have the combination of enterprise and standard installations of Windows.

taxemicshadow

Honorable
May 19, 2012

Thankfully I did install it directly through the windows update client as well as established a tie between my Microsoft and Windows accounts so if what you say is true, I should be in the clear. We can only hope that Microsoft doesn't dick it's beta testers over.

Status
Not open for further replies.