[SOLVED] Windows 10 Runs in Safe Mode Crashes in Normal Mode.

kalel35

Honorable
Nov 6, 2014
WARNING: Before you read too far, I am likely to build a new system. At this point I have spent so much time troubleshooting this that I just want an answer. Don't want anyone wasting too much time just because I am curious...

I have an old PC Build that was starting to crash whenever I did anything with video. BSOD and reboot, worked fine otherwise. Replaced graphics card, and upgraded from HDD to SSD. Neither helped. So then I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (just because it was past due didn't figure it would fix anything).

So now I can log onto PC in Safe Mode and it works. If I boot in normal mode it crashes in about 30 seconds or so. I tired clean boot and it still crashes.

I have run all the diagnostics that I know to run and everything comes up clean. Updated every driver....and still can't figure out the issue.

Here is Current Configuration
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Siv2uDqaEn2ZPoFWJqzobLK

Latest minidump:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqSiWilWziZZg2E2MVI57CQ9RcqN?e=5VnacM

Again this is more of an "I need to know" than a dire emergency. Having said that, I would appreciate it if someone wanted to point me in the right direction.

Solution
Heat problems can come from two sources, the cpu and the motherboard.
What is your cpu temperature at idle?
If all is well, you should see 10-15c. over ambient.
If you are much higher, verify that the cooler is mounted well, the fan is running, and the case is supplying sufficient cooling air for both the cpu and the gpu.

Motherboards like yours can have problems with voltage regulators overheating.

Take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards to see if that helps.

One other potential problem will come from a cheap psu.
Best I can tell, your psu is not of high quality.
I would not plan on reusing it on a new build.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections...
You will get better answers if you describe your system in plain language.

If you work ok in safe mode your problem is driver related.
Safe mode works with a minimal number of only essential drivers and components.

You can get a basic test of functionality by running memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.

If I read your list, it seems that you have a largely obsolete pc and a rebuild is a good idea.

kalel35

Honorable
Nov 6, 2014
You can get a basic test of functionality by running memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.

As you suggested I ran memtest86 and made it 4 mins into test (8%) and the PC rebooted and said the CPU Overheated (showed warning on boot never happened before).

Once it cooled down it has been running without issue (in safe mode) for he past 12+ hours.

Just to reiterate, I am going to build a new PC. I just want to figure out this for my own curiosity.

PC spec:
Asus M4A89GTDd PRO/USB3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
G.SKILLS Ripjaw X DDR3 1866 16GB
AZZA PSAZ-650B14 Dynamo 650W

Last edited:
Heat problems can come from two sources, the cpu and the motherboard.
What is your cpu temperature at idle?
If all is well, you should see 10-15c. over ambient.
If you are much higher, verify that the cooler is mounted well, the fan is running, and the case is supplying sufficient cooling air for both the cpu and the gpu.

Motherboards like yours can have problems with voltage regulators overheating.

Take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards to see if that helps.

One other potential problem will come from a cheap psu.
Best I can tell, your psu is not of high quality.
I would not plan on reusing it on a new build.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Do not use one.

Solution