Windows 10 S Will Become “S Mode” Available On All Windows 10 Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dosflores

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Microsoft is already asking customers to distinguish between Windows 10 on Arm and Windows 10 on X86. Things could get even more confusing once the company flips the switch to make “S mode” a feature instead of its own OS.

I don't think this is going to be confusing to customers. It will be a pain only for IT staff.

Microsoft will only sell "Windows 10 Home" or "Windows 10 Pro". They won't sell "Windows 10 S" or "Windows 10 ARM" or "Windows 10 RT". A customer will only have to choose whether they want Pro features or not.

OEMs won't have to choose whether to enable S Mode or not. It will always be enabled by default. As soon as you try to install Chrome, you will be given the option to disable the S Mode:

WARNING: You're about to make your PC slower and less secure. Do you want to continue?
- No.
- Advanced options... (Run as Administrator required)

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I'd much rather prefer to see some sort of '7 Mode' or XP Mode again. (Since there's lack of support and major updates on either)

Ilya__

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

I was thinking the same thing, like in public libraries, cafes and gyms.

Jagwired

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
Windows 10 S might have been a more interesting product if they limited it to 64-bit apps only. If they could eliminate the 32-bit components of Windows, it would lower the storage size requirement for Windows and presumably improve security.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Yea, I liked the idea of Windows 10 S because it would be difficult for people computer illiterate from giving away their savings accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.