Windows 10 says path invalid refering to the system image created on my WD Passport

JFB344

Commendable
May 2, 2016
Recently made a system image of my Windows 10. It asked what drive to place it and click my external WD Passport Drive. seems to have copied it all to the drive yet when I try to use it to recover, windows says the path is invalid. I have no idea what is preventing me from using the windows 10 created system image to my external drive. Any suggestions?

Solution
well if you used the SYSTEM IMAGE option during backup somewhere in the backup folder there should be a file that has a extension of .vhdx (a vertical harddrive file) windows 10 should let you mount this file and will treat it as a virtual hard drive. as soon as you mount it will look like another hard drive in your system. copy all the files to a temp folder on your main drive then you can copy and paste which files you wish to restore from there. (note this is only a good way to get your user files) you will have to reinstall all your programs from new to get them to run correctly
Hey there, JFB344!

I'd strongly recommend you to repeat the procedure and start with the Windows System Image backup on the WD My Passport again.
You should also consider using a backup software utility, instead of Windows 10 Backup to create an image of your system onto the external. I'd advise you to choose your WD My Passport model here and then download the Acronis True Image WD Edition software to perform the system backup. This software provides you with all the essential tools you need to recover your computer system should a disaster occur.

Hope it helps you. Let me know if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

JFB344

Commendable
May 2, 2016

I tried the procedure again, it stated could not find a back up drive. I checked again and it is on my WD MyPassport drive. As stated before, I used my windows 10 to create the system image. and that it is on G:My Passport. Windows 10 also say look on network which does not even have drive G even lsted. Is there another way to access the information in the system image to recover all m files? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

well if you used the SYSTEM IMAGE option during backup somewhere in the backup folder there should be a file that has a extension of .vhdx (a vertical harddrive file) windows 10 should let you mount this file and will treat it as a virtual hard drive. as soon as you mount it will look like another hard drive in your system. copy all the files to a temp folder on your main drive then you can copy and paste which files you wish to restore from there. (note this is only a good way to get your user files) you will have to reinstall all your programs from new to get them to run correctly

Solution

This seems unfortunate. I'd strongly recommend you follow some of the suggested solutions in this thread then. Can you also share some screenshots of the issue and errors that you get?
I'd also suggest you attempt to browse for the system image while you are booted in Repair/Recover Mode. If you haven't tried this already, you should be able to select the System Image Recovery from the Advanced options (in the Troubleshoot menu).

Hope it helps.
SuperSoph_WD