Windows 10 Scam?

kmbeadweaver

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I help out some older folks with their computers - paying it forward. Recently, one of them was told that she should upgrade to Win 10 so she asked me. I hadn't done my own 4 computers yet, so I told her that I would do it after I did my own. She needs adjustments for audio/visual and I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing. A couple of days later she calls me and tells me that the download "started all by itself." Being a cynic, I thought that she probably got impatient, went to Microsoft and figured she could do it herself. She got stuck and wasn't able to finish it, so I ended up completing the install for her. Since then (about a week) I have had two calls from her about getting scammy popups. The first one I cleared, but today she has another one. I will see this one tomorrow am, but from what she said it sounds like it is saying it is from Microsoft. This one told her not to turn off her computer or there would be dire consequences. etc. etc. My question to you is have you heard of any scans that would start an automatic download of 10 with ransomware inserted into it. I am considering doing a complete factory reset to 7 and then doing the 10 download again. Thanks!

Solution
Upgrades to 10 are now starting automatically, unless you actually tell it not to. Closing the window doesn't stop it. Blame MS.

I suspect she saw the message not to turn off the PC while it was updating - same as every windows update, pretty much.

kmbeadweaver

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

Thanks for answering. I did read that the automatic downloads are happening so that may have been what happened, but I am also wondering if hackers could be taking advantage of the automatic downloads and are initiating a download with built in malware or ransomware..
This a week after the download and install was done.