Windows 10 Scheduler doesn't start SpeedFan on startup?

Oct 10, 2018
Hey guys!
As I have problems with the speed of my fans I managed to regulate them with speedfan. However it's extremely annoying to open up SpeedFan after every reboot (with the UAC always asking if I really want to open it) and change the values manually, because SpeedFan doesn't save them for some reason. I wanted Windows 10 to open it each time I login, so I followed A LOT of tutorials on the internet. Most of them were solved by creating a new schedule in the scheduler, give it the highest priority and set the trigger to login. But for me it doesn't work for some reason, I tried it multiple times and with different tutorials. When I create a shortcut or when I just start the schedule manually in the scheduler, then nothing happens. A symbol pops up in the taskbar but disappears again in less than a second (I only see a popup, not even a real symbol) and then nothing happens. SpeedFan just refuses to open up with the scheduler. Does anybody have an idea what else I could try? (I already checked the correct path to speedfan.exe multiple times, followed tutorials step by step and gave it the highest priority, so I have no clue what's wrong)

Solution
Microsoft has changed security things around over the past few years concerning run as Admin and UAC prompts. I know this because I've ran into similar problems. Alot of the info out there is simply outdated and no longer works. I use to be able to skip UAC on a program that I wrote myself and it no longer works.

However I was able to get Speedfan to skip UAC using the tenforums tutorial. The tutorial is a bit confusing because they are using command prompt to run command prompt as admin. It would have been nicer to use command prompt to run Notepad as admin (or anything else).

I created the task. These are the things I used:
General / Name: speedfan
General / Run with highest privileges: Checked
General /...
Oct 10, 2018

Yeah giving it the highest priority in the Windows 10 scheduler basically gives it the right to run "above" UAC, so that's pretty much giving it all rights.

Oct 10, 2018
Sorry for the double post, but I tried your methode with the .bat file now. It opens up on startup and tries to open SpeedFan (which is what I want), but UAC is preventing it from opening and I have to click Yes every time again. That's what I wanted to get rid off.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Shame speedfan hasn't been updated in a few years, its really a feature that should be built into program. Launching at startup is an obvious function you would want in a program that controls fans

I will ask a friend if he has any ideas.

Is this what you have been doing?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/57690-create-elevated-shortcut-without-uac-prompt-windows-10-a.html

I was going to suggest installing speedfan as admin but from the above link, it shows elevated programs can't run at startup be default so it probably wouldn't work.

Oct 10, 2018

Yeah that's one of the tutorials I've tried, but the shortcut you create at the end of the tutorial doesn't open speedfan. It just does nothing, literally. Checked multiple times if the paths and options are correct, but it doesn't work in the end.

gardenman

Splendid
Microsoft has changed security things around over the past few years concerning run as Admin and UAC prompts. I know this because I've ran into similar problems. Alot of the info out there is simply outdated and no longer works. I use to be able to skip UAC on a program that I wrote myself and it no longer works.

However I was able to get Speedfan to skip UAC using the tenforums tutorial. The tutorial is a bit confusing because they are using command prompt to run command prompt as admin. It would have been nicer to use command prompt to run Notepad as admin (or anything else).

General / Configure for: Windows 10
Triggers / New
- Begin the task: At startup
Actions / New
- Program/script: cmd.exe
- Add arguments: /c start "speedfan" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe"
Conditions / Start the task only if the computer is on AC power: Unchecked
Settings / Stop the task if it runs longer than: Unchecked
task2.gif

I created a shortcut on the desktop:
Type the location of the item: C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "speedfan"
Type a name: Speedfan Startup
shortcut.jpg

The "name" of the task must match the name at the end of the shortcut command line (both green above).

I used the latest version 4.5.2.

I have not tested it at startup. I tested it by running the shortcut from the desktop. Speedfan runs in Admin mode without the UAC prompt. If you can get it to run at the desktop like I can, but it does not run at startup, let me know and I'll investigate further.

taskman.jpg

Reactions: misterfancypants
Solution
Oct 10, 2018

Thanks for that insanely detailed answer. However, the created shortcut wants a UAC prompt for "configuration tool of the Windows scheduler" now (I don't know what the English translation would be, I only have the German UAC prompt here). The task manager for the speedfan.exe process says "not authorized" (I don't have the simple Yes/No chart in the German Windows version, so I guess not authorized means no). Exactly followed your steps, so I have no idea what could be wrong now.

EDIT: I missed the "not necessary" box in the properties which said "Run as Admin". The shortcut starts without a UAC prompt now. If it works with starting my PC will be looked up tomorrow! Thanks so far, that's the furthest I've gotten.

misterfancypants

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

General / Configure for: Windows 10
Triggers / New
- Begin the task: At startup
Actions / New
  • Program/script: cmd.exe
  • Add arguments: /c start "speedfan" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe"
Conditions / Start the task only if the computer is on AC power: Unchecked
Settings / Stop the task if it runs longer than: Unchecked
task2.gif

I created a shortcut on the desktop:
Type the location of the item: C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "speedfan"
Type a name: Speedfan Startup
shortcut.jpg

The "name" of the task must match the name at the end of the shortcut command line (both green above).

I used the latest version 4.5.2.

I have not tested it at startup. I tested it by running the shortcut from the desktop. Speedfan runs in Admin mode without the UAC prompt. If you can get it to run at the desktop like I can, but it does not run at startup, let me know and I'll investigate further.

taskman.jpg

Wow, thank you so much. That was extremely helpful. No more annoying UAC pop-up on startup. Only annoying thing now is the split-second of the window popping up to execute the task... just kidding lol, this is 10000 times better than a UAC pop-up.

And yes, it did work on startup after dragging and dropping the newly made Speedfan Startup shortcut into the shell:startup folder.

Now I am finally done messing with my fans, after 8 or so hours today trying to figure this all out, and they will just do what I want. God bless you, kind sir.

gardenman

Splendid
I'm glad I could help. Try this, go to the Properties for the shortcut in the Start Menu (might be easier to just make a new shortcut). In the Shortcut tab, change the "Run" to Minimized. That might help. You still might see the little button flash on the Taskbar, but it shouldn't flash up on the desktop after that.

8vzanWf.jpg