Question Windows 10 Security Patch stops printing

Jul 7, 2021
I installed the emergency Windows Security patch for CVE-2021-34527 this morning and immediately had issues with printing on a range of printers. I uninstalled the patch and all was well again. Does MS do QC on rush patches like this?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Reading through this, I'm wondering how the printers are tethered to your system. As for your question, yes. This OS has been a pain in the rear to work with especially after some/most updates would knock the internet out or cause displays to black out or to prevent people from gaming(which is a majority of what people do during this pandemic when they're not working).

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
I installed the emergency Windows Security patch for CVE-2021-34527 this morning and immediately had issues with printing on a range of printers. I uninstalled the patch and all was well again. Does MS do QC on rush patches like this?
Hi there. Most patches come with an article on Microsoft's website which most often than not contain a section about reported problems and possible issues. There has been only very rarely emergency patches from Microsoft and they have only done it if it is extremely urgent. In the last 5 years for example I have only seen this happen like 2 or three times.
In order to keep the expenses of network maintenance (networked Windows computers like corporate Windows networks) down, Microsoft mostly goes with what the community mostly knows as "patch Tuesday" which is the second Tuesday of the month. So network managers only have to worry about updates only one or two days.
But yes, it does happen, drivers not working, screen black outs, and so on are regularly seen and reported by Windows users and even Microsoft admits to this.
I am sorry to hear that by the way.

Jul 7, 2021
One printer is connected via USB, and another 2 via Ethernet cables.

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Reading through this, I'm wondering how the printers are tethered to your system. As for your question, yes. This OS has been a pain in the rear to work with especially after some/most updates would knock the internet out or cause displays to black out or to prevent people from gaming(which is a majority of what people do during this pandemic when they're not working).