Windows 10 Settings Instantly Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2018
Windows 10 settings just crashes anytime I try to open it. It nothing works in the notification panel, because they are all linked Windows 10 settings. I even tried to search up a specific windows setting in the search and it will open up that section in setting and crash immediately. If your wondering, my Windows build is Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) Windows 10 Home & and I have a Lenovo ideapad 310-15abr. Thank you so much to all who help in advance!!!

Solution
I've seen this and only windows update to resolved this issue. It's a Windows known bug.

You can try renaming the Immersive Control Panel folder that should be located at this address: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel to ImmersiveControlPanel.old. Once you’ve renamed the folder, go to Start and launch Command Prompt as Admin. Enter the sfc/scannow command and hit Enter. This command allows you to create a new ImmersiveControlPanel folder. Then restart your computer and check if the Settings app crashes gain.

Some peaople said that this issue is account based and using a different user account for log in should fix it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if this helps

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

I've seen this and only windows update to resolved this issue. It's a Windows known bug.

You can try renaming the Immersive Control Panel folder that should be located at this address: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel to ImmersiveControlPanel.old. Once you’ve renamed the folder, go to Start and launch Command Prompt as Admin. Enter the sfc/scannow command and hit Enter. This command allows you to create a new ImmersiveControlPanel folder. Then restart your computer and check if the Settings app crashes gain.

Some peaople said that this issue is account based and using a different user account for log in should fix it.

Solution
Aug 9, 2019
I've finally found a solution to this that ACTUALLY WORKS. Well, until I restart obviously but then I just do it again, so not exactly a fix. But nothing on the internet worked for me and I was NOT about to create a new user account and migrate my Onedrive stuff

It's a long story how I narrowed it down to this particular service being a problem, it was mostly by chance, but here it is I restart the "Update Orchestrator Service" from within services and everything works perfectly

1. Open Task Manager - either right-click task bar or ctrl+alt+del -

2. Click file - Run new task

3. Type in "services.msc" and click the checkbox that says "Create this task with administrator privileges"

4. Click OK

5. Find the service called "Update Orchestrator Service"

6. Right Click it and press restart

Hopefully I can find out exactly what is causing the service to create these issues but this works for me 100% of the time.

For what it's worth I think Popcorn Time may have had something to do with it. I uninstalled it ages ago but it left behind some update files in Appdata Local and Roaming. It was still trying to access the web somehow

Status
Not open for further replies.