Windows 10 Shared folders not working

hardtech

Honorable
Apr 13, 2014
I have clean installed windows 10V 1803 in some PC'S . After that I am not able to access windows 10 shared folders using the PC name or it doesnt show in networks. I have set the network to private and changed 4 services to automatic . services like upnp, function discovery and ssdp discovery. Still i dont see any changes.. Its accessible from windows 10 after reboots but few seconds... Also windows 10 pc can access windows 7 shared folder but not vice.

hardtech

Honorable
Apr 13, 2014
this link had interesting comments, one that indicated that he could not connect until the local account had entered in a password. various people had varioius different issues. it could give you a hint at what the problem could be.

windows 10 to windows 10 connections would have the correct protocol version. Ff it does not connect you would have a different issue. different network key, account not validated on the remote machine, or firewall blocking the connection.

hardtech

Honorable
Apr 13, 2014

What different issue? All windows 10 same issue. Are you aware windows 10 v1803 removed home group? Am able to access using ip address but no using PC NAME

sorry, i was refering to windows 10 not haveing the smb v1 protocol installed and would not connect to a windows 7 share that uses smb v1 protocol only.

windows 10 connecting to another windows 10 would not need to negotiate smb v1 so it would not be that issue.

I just tend to open an admin cmd.exe then use the various net.exe commands an provide the credentials on the command line.

like:
net.exe use * \\servername\share /user:johnbl *
* prompts for the password of the user account on \\servername

or I connect to the interprocess communication share the use the UI

net use \\servername\ipc$ /u:johnbl mypassword
(after you make this connection all future connections will piggyback off of these credentials so you will not have to put them in)

again I provide the credentials of the server machine user account

guess I would look to see if the NetBIOS over tcp is turned on.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/windowsserver/en-US/d18bd172-e1a0-4a61-ba52-0952a1e3cabc/configuring-netbios-over-tcpip

in my case
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters\Interfaces\Tcpip_{1e52f49e-aeba-4430-8b62-b824976ec0a5}
NetbiosOptions key
set registry key to 1 to enable

hardtech

Honorable
Apr 13, 2014

Brother. First of all none of these PC is using credential to access shared folder in windows 10. All are workgroup. Normally what we do is just type \\PC NAME then it will open the shared folders in each pc respective of pc name ... now its not possible is what i mean

they would still use credentials even if you did not provide them.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\Credential Providers

I will upgrade my wife's machine and see if it has problems talking to my machine.

ok, on the client and server I removed the credential I added to the credential manager. rebooted both.

went to both manchines and put a password on the guest account
net.exe guest newpassword

now both machines see each other without having to enter in special credentials.
(but i am not sure the old credentials are not in cache somewhere, so will look that up)
ok, I make the connection to the server but I run
net.exe session
on the server and see that I have a ipv6 connection using the old credentials that I deleted. it is getting validated in cache somewhere. will use cmdkey.exe /list
to see if I can get the old credentials dropped from cache

ok on the client, i opened control panel->user accounts->credential manager->windows credentials
and entered in the servername
and the local account on the server for my user, and the correct password

net view \\servername works as expect
since the session is getting the correct credentials.

next i would look to see that the guest account is active and that guest gets access.
or see if there has been some changes to default credentials with windows null sessions.
(default ipc$ access) but have to head out for a while, will look when I get back to may machine

------------
looks like the default credentials do not give access
while supplied credentials do.
something is turned off/ blocked for secruity reasons. need to find out what.

ipconfig show netbios over tcp/ip is on
the windows UI indicates that it is off, I turned it on in the ui and it had no effect.

there is going to be some other setting you will have to tweek

------------

ok, tried it.

ping of the remote ipAddress works as expected.
net view of the ipaddress works as expected
net view of the machine name fails

net use $ipc \\machinename\ipc$ /u:myname *
(supplying my remote account name and password ) works as expected
net view \\machinename (now works as expected)

name resolution was not working correctly.
I disconnected the remote ipc$ connection, stopped the client rdr

this is from 2 windows 10 machines running build version 1809 (os build 17763.104) as the server
and build version 1809 (os build 17763.55) as the client.

I will try the connection from the server side to the client to make sure it also works(just in case)
-------
ok, just tried from the server to the client:
net view \\machinename failed with access denied

on the client I created an account called: dog with a password
then on the server
net use \\machinename\myshare /U;dog mypassword
worked as expected.