Windows 10 shuts down after a few minutes after startup but runs fine in safe mode?

bttger

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Hi,
I just got my brothers old computer and he installed the free "Update to Windows 10" before i got it. The startup runs fine but within minutes the computer shuts down with no warning. Sometimes so fast that I can't enter controlpanel and other times I have a few minutes before shutdown. Yesterday I tried to run in Safe Mode and there it seems to run fine?!

What to do?

Solution
Hi,

Have you tried updating all the drivers of your PC? You'll need to be in Safe Mode with Networking in order to perform some troubleshooting steps.
- Start by doing a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics driver.
- Do also check Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to the graphics card.
- Download and install the latest driver once done.
- Reboot the PC into the normal mode once done and see if the same problem will persist or not.
- If all these will not work, do also disable the automatic restart of the PC.
- Here's how: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/51683-system-failure-automatic-restart-enable-disable.html

bttger

Commendable
May 17, 2016

Cool - I'll try that!

bttger

Commendable
May 17, 2016

I tried your description yesterday and nothing happend :(
According to Intel they don't make any new drivers for my graphic card (onboard Intel G43/G45 Express Chipset Graphics Card) - is that a problem?
Would it be possible to install a external/plug-in graphic card to solve the problem?
Or do you have any other solutions?
It still runs fine Safe Mode (it has been runing all night and still turned on this morning)

Goofygiggles

Honorable
Apr 18, 2015

Try REINSTALLING the drivers. If you have the time, you could also just re-install windows 10.

Solution

bttger

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I just solved my problems yesterday.
All the driver-issues were fixed with reinstalling Windows 10, og the power-issue required a new powersupply.
So I hope all the problems are gone for now :)

Thanks for the answers!

Goofygiggles

Honorable
Apr 18, 2015

No problem!