Windows 10 Sign in does not appear

Darkray347

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
Windows 10 sign in does not appear after sleeping. I see the screen with the date and time and at the bottom right the Internet, ease of access and power but the sign in does not appear. I cannot type in my password to get into my desktop.

Surprisingly enough, I also cannot change my lock screen picture under personalization. I attempt to do so and the lock screen picture preview just Keeps loading but never finishes.

How can I fix these two problems that may be related?

Solution
Its not a hardware error, if you get same problem after a fresh install then I would be surprised. I think something went wrong on last install, I can't think of any hardware that would be involved at that stage that would do this.

Darkray347

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016

Would an in place upgrade fix my issue? I think something is corrupted. However sfc /scannow didn't find anything would the in place upgrade help?

Colif

Win 11 Master
The problem I have found is sfc/dism don't fix user accounts and it is part of the mechanism for logging in that is not working. Those two commands just fix system files, they don't fix windows not working

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (if you don't have it already)

Before you try the upgrade, try this
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type chkdsk /f and press enter - this will scan disk and fix file system... it might fix this up.

Other option to try is start up repair
Boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

If they don't help, Its possible an inplace upgrade would be all you need, it could fix whatever is broken.

Darkray347

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
Isn't repairing Windows 10 by using the media creation tool to boot Windows 10 into a USB the same thing as using the media creation tool and selecting "upgrade this PC" then allowing the download and install to proceed and then selecting "keep my personal files and apps?"

Colif

Win 11 Master
for some reason I forgot you can boot still.

Try this:
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter

this scans system files and may fix this behaviour
then once its finished, even if it doesn't find anything, copy/paste this into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

if sfc failed to work first time, run it again after DISM
SFC fixes system files, DISM fixes the files SFC uses to check the system files.

are you on version 1607?
right click start
choose run..
type winver and press enter
If you not on version 1607, go here and click update now. This downloads upgrade assistant whgich if run will install latest version of win 10, and may fix both problems.

If you on 1607, you should try this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Darkray347

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
I've tried sfc /scannow and did NOT find anything wrong. I will attempt the DISM command. Also, I am using the Windows 10 media creation tool to conduct an inplace upgrade. I am just wondering if the inplace upgrade will fix my issue for sure?

Darkray347

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
I will update you once I can perform the DISM. What is an indication from the DISM for me to proceed to performing the inplace update since you said the inplace may work depending on the DISM. Could you elaborate? Thanks.

solaon

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
I suggest you disable the lock screen:
http://www.top-password.com/blog/how-to-disable-windows-8-lock-screen/

then see if the sign-in screen will appear after sleep.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Has this sleep problem only just started on has it been for a while? Did they both start happening around the same time? Only asking as you could try system restore
search cortana for restore, and choose make a restore point. Click the System restore button (in the section with same name) and choose a date that was before when this started to happen), win 10 will roll back to that date.

The problem with System restore is the further you go back, the more likely something else will stop working. As it only tracks system changes, not everything else installed.

If there is no date to choose or you not certain when it started, I think next step is a reset. Copy everything off C drive that you want to keep that isn't in a library folder (Libraries being Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos) as you will need to reinstall all programs afterwards. If you have a steam folder you can copy it and reuse it after.
go to settings/update & security/recovery/Reset this PC
2 choices, keep files and settings (files = libraries), or wipe everything and reinstall win 10 like its brand new
either way you choose, pc will restart and reinstall win 10 on C drive - it doesn't touch any other drive in PC.

Darkray347

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
The inplace upgrade seems to have fixed it. I will confirm that it has completely fixed all my issues after I get a chance to test and see if the sign in screen issue persists. The changing lock screen photo works like a charm. Hoping for good results.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you try a reset? If it still doesn't show up after a reset, the final stop is a fresh reinstall of win 10.

The entire login system of win 10 needs a fix, I see problems with it every week. I wish there was an easy solution like almost everything else in win 10.

Darkray347

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016

I performed a clean install of Windows 10 using a USB and allowing the compute to boot from it.

Now, I am testing the computer again to see if there are any more issues. If the sign in problem still persists I am honestly out of ideas. It may be a hardware problem or Windows 10 software Itself. IF this issue persists even after the clean install of Windows 10 using a USB, what should I do? I think I might have to send it in to the depot for hardware repairs but I am not sure that is the correct choice.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its not a hardware error, if you get same problem after a fresh install then I would be surprised. I think something went wrong on last install, I can't think of any hardware that would be involved at that stage that would do this.

Solution