Question Windows 10 slow boot and WPA help request - yet another thread

Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I've been trying to understand why my windows 10 system is slow to boot by using WPA, and would be happy to get insight from you.

I run Windows 10 1909 64 bits on a fairly new system (MSI Gaming max B450 M/B, Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, GeForce 1660Ti GPU). This is an upgrade system from Windows 7. At the time of upgrade, the system booted in around 20 seconds max, which I found acceptable. Now it's gone to around a minute, which I find slow. I've been trying to understand this using WPA.

First, the boot main path is at ~52 seconds. Of this, the boot init pre-session / PnP phase takes about 15.5 seconds, a longish delay that I ascribe partly to the fact that my system stills boots via the legacy BIOS method - I've yet to convert my system drive to GPT and boot via UEFI, which I plan to do.

Almost 5 secs of SessionInit phase. Then the winlogon phase takes 10 and a half seconds, which I find long. I'll post the log here later (need to record a light version), but some things I find strange. For instance, almost 5 seconds for the request credentials phase, although I've configured windows to log me on automatically by having pre-recorded my password.
Then, almost 16 seconds for the explorer-init phase, of which 4.5 secs for LogonPerformance TaskRunTime: StartLayoutInit, which I don't understand what it is. Then more LogonPerformance taks, such as PreStartTasks and LaunchExperimentalHost or LaunchAnaheimDownloadPage (9.6 secs).

Before I post the log here, some quick questions:

1. What happens during the sessionInit phase?
  2. What are those cryptic LogonPerformance tasks? For instance, LaunchAnaheimDownloadPage? Anaheim is the code name of the current Edge version, but...?

Thanks for the leads. I'm new using WPA, and the learning curve is steep.