Windows 10 slow boot time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaMou

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
I upgraded my windows 8.1 to windows 10 and I deleted the windows.old folder because I didn't need it.Since I upgraded I noticed that my PC boots very slow.I press the power button I get the bios logo and then the windows logo but after that instead of going straight to the log in screen my PC shows a black screen and after a while the screen comes up with a wait message and then It gets to the log in screen.I know this is not supposed to happen because with windows 8 the PC would get to the log in screen before even the monitor turned on.What should I do?

Solution
Hello ManaMou

Can you please confirm if you disabled Fast Startup in Windows 8.1? If so, you may want to re-enable it in Windows 10.

The process of doing so is identical to Windows 8/8.1.

Also, you can:

> Right-click the task bar.

> Go to the Task Manager.

> Go to the Startup tab.

> From the displayed list, uncheck the unwanted/unimportant applications that you think can consume more processing.

> Restart your PC and then check its boot time.

If the above solutions don't work, you may want to restore your Windows 8.1 back using the recovery disk since you have already removed the Windows.old folder, and you cannot uninstall Windows 10 and go back to Windows 8.1 via this route.

If you have the recovery disk...
Hello ManaMou

Can you please confirm if you disabled Fast Startup in Windows 8.1? If so, you may want to re-enable it in Windows 10.

The process of doing so is identical to Windows 8/8.1.

Also, you can:

> Right-click the task bar.

> Go to the Task Manager.

> Go to the Startup tab.

> From the displayed list, uncheck the unwanted/unimportant applications that you think can consume more processing.

> Restart your PC and then check its boot time.

If the above solutions don't work, you may want to restore your Windows 8.1 back using the recovery disk since you have already removed the Windows.old folder, and you cannot uninstall Windows 10 and go back to Windows 8.1 via this route.

If you have the recovery disk for the previous operating system, I would suggest you to do a full system recovery, upgrade to Windows 10 right from the scratch, and then check its performance without removing the Windows.old folder.

Let me know if this works. Good Luck!!

Solution

ManaMou

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Fast boot is already enabled and the only programs that run on startup are amd catalyst,realtek drivers,avast and controller companion.Also I noticed that when the black screen happens I can see my mouse if I move it around plus after I log in it seems to be a little slower for a minute and then its normal.I don't have a restore point so is there a way I can do a clean install?Oh and are windows 10 supposed to activate by themselves after a while cause I didn't wait and I used Kmspico and that gave me tons if viruses that i later removed with avast and malwarebytes.

Status
Not open for further replies.