Windows 10 Slowly Connecting to Wifi Upon Waking Up

zach.c.ward

Commendable
Dec 26, 2017
Hello Wonderful people,

I have been having an issue with Windows 10 reconnecting to wifi upon waking up. I'm running an XPS 15 9650 with Windows 10 Home edition.

It's not really an issue, per se, more of a nuisance to my impatient self... Windows automatically reconnect to my wifi upon logging in, but sometimes it can take up to 30 seconds. #firstworldproblems

Is there a way to speed this up? I've seen one issue on another forum where a guy deleted all his network adapters, rebooted, and it was solved. However, he only had 2 adapters installed and I have 8 and I'm a little worried about deleting them all. Is there another way to speed this process up?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Zach

Heres a pic of my installed Network adapters. (I'm aware of the bluetooth adapters and wont be deleting them as the problems arose before they existed)

H017kfO.png

Solution
have you tried updating your network drivers from the your laptops support website? it could be just a driver issue. and sometimes your wifi router is being interrupted as well by other magnetic or physical causes. so you'll have to take that into account as well. is it the same with your LAN (wired) connection?

you can also try this hack:
- go to device manager (press win+xm)
- open properties of your "killer wireless.."
- go to advanced tab
- manually select your wireless mode setting

this will basically cut down the default "auto" time it takes to negotiate the proper channels/protocols to communicate with your router.

Also here to maximize your wifi hardware :
Click “Power Options”
Click “Change Plan Options” on...

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
have you tried updating your network drivers from the your laptops support website? it could be just a driver issue. and sometimes your wifi router is being interrupted as well by other magnetic or physical causes. so you'll have to take that into account as well. is it the same with your LAN (wired) connection?

you can also try this hack:
- go to device manager (press win+xm)
- open properties of your "killer wireless.."
- go to advanced tab
- manually select your wireless mode setting

this will basically cut down the default "auto" time it takes to negotiate the proper channels/protocols to communicate with your router.

Also here to maximize your wifi hardware :
Click “Power Options”
Click “Change Plan Options” on currently selected power plan
Click “Change Advanced Power Settings”
Click “Wireless Adapter Settings”
Under “Power Saving Mode” change “Setting” to “Maximum Performance” on both “On battery” and “Plugged in”.

Solution
If it's slow to wake up maybe give it a Lake of Coffee?

BAD JOKE. Sorry.

Seriously though, WHEN did this problem start?

New Windows 10 Update?
New hardware added?

I noticed you have KILLER wi-fi. That usually comes with its own software package so maybe there's an issue with that. I know for the MOTHERBOARD version you had the option of:
a) default software, or
b) adding a software solution

The Killer software used to be problematic so lots of people (again on desktop) would REMOVE it. So if there IS software I'd say:

1) remove it if you have it
2) add it if you don't

Otherwise, maybe DELETING the drivers as suggested through Device Manager then rebooting may work. You don't have to do it every time just delete every driver (not Bluetooth) you can under Network.

Other potential issue:
Wi-Fi power?
Have you tried doing this in the same room that the wi-fi router is in?