Question Windows 10 software update and boot problems

Aug 14, 2020
I can not update Windows 10 because of error that it doesn't support UFEI firmware. I have installed Windows 10 and Kali Linux on my laptop but believe I might have done it wrong. When I run diskpart and listdisk there are 3 partitions Disk 0 931 GB, Disk 1 119GB(SSD Drive), Disk 2 14GB. Disk 1 has a * in the gpt column of list disk, Disk 1 is the Windows 10 hard drive, Disk 2 is the Linux partition and Disk 0 is really just free space where my other info goes. Two hard drives one is 1TB and the other is the SSD drive where Windows 10 is. I need someone to tell me how to get my laptop straightened out so I only have my laptop will update. When I boot it up now I have to manually press F12 to get to boot options otherwise it boots directly to Kali Linux. I have to select windows boot manager in order to get Windows 10 to boot up. I know its a mess right now so info would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to lose any of my info and software on my laptop. Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can not update Windows 10 because of error that it doesn't support UFEI firmware.

can you show me this error? how are you trying to update windows?

Win 10 is GPT, so it obvious supports UEFi?
I assume from you not mentioning it that Kali isn't GPT

which did you install first? Windows? I could guess you put windows on and then kali and kali has installed itself as MBR, not GPT, and the boot order has the kali drive as 1st? You may have been better off installing kali 1st and then win 10. it would have just used MBR format on the drive and added self to the MBR partition. Now you probably have both,

Which do you want as default? DO you want the choice of both or just windows?

Aug 14, 2020
Yes I installed Kali second so you are probably right. Like I said there are 2 drives in my laptop. The SSD drive 128GB is where windows 10 was installed because it would run faster on the SSD drive. I split off 14 GB off the 1TB drive. Is there a way to make this a dual boot laptop without hitting F12 when I boot my laptop to get to Windows. There seems to be a problem with Kali now because if I don't hit F12 Kali boots up but now I am getting this:
GRUB Loading.
Welcome to Grub!
error: no such device
error: unknown filesystem
GRUB Rescue>
If I hit F12 when booting up I can select windows boot loader then after I hit that it takes me to 3 options :
Window 8.1
Windows
Windows 10
If I hit anything but Windows 8.1 nothing will load and it will boot over. This laptop had 8.1 on it when I bought it but I upgraded to Windows 10 so I don't know why I have to hit Windows 8.1 to get windows to boot up. It's kind of a mess right now and I want to make it easier to get to either Windows or Kali. If you can give me some instrunctinns on how to do this I would greatly appreciate it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
MY gpu died on Monday so i haven't been able to get back in here and have been too distracted anyway.

There seems to be a problem with Kali now because if I don't hit F12 Kali boots up but now I am getting this:
GRUB Loading.
Welcome to Grub!
It is a little confusing, do you mean that if you don't hit F12 now GRUB still doesn't load kali?

GRUB is the boot loader for linux. Was the win 10 install in the PC when you installed Kali? it supports GPT so it should have added itself to the boot partition, not made itself MBR - https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?35323-Install-Kali-alongside-Windows-10-(Partition-MBR-GPT-UEFI)#:~:text=There is no need to,should install it on GPT.

so you want dual boot still. I will have to figure this out. It might be easier to remove kali and try to install it as GPT instead. Removing GRUB might remove need for F12 to get to windows.

Aug 14, 2020
Yes I installed Kali second so you are probably right. Like I said there are 2 drives in my laptop. The SSD drive 128GB is where windows 10 was installed because it would run faster on the SSD drive. I split off 14 GB off the 1TB drive. Is there a way to make this a dual boot laptop without hitting F12 when I boot my laptop to get to Windows. There seems to be a problem with Kali now because if I don't hit F12 Kali boots up but now I am getting this:
GRUB Loading.
Welcome to Grub!
GRUB Rescue>
If I hit F12 when booting up I can select windows boot loader then after I hit that it takes me to 3 options :
Window 8.1
Windows
Windows 10
If I hit anything but Windows 8.1 nothing will load and it will boot over. This laptop had 8.1 on it when I bought it but I upgraded to Windows 10 so I don't know why I have to hit Windows 8.1 to get windows to boot up. It's kind of a mess right now and I want to make it easier to get to either Windows or Kali. If you can give me some instrunctinns on how to do this I would greatly appreciate it.