Question Windows 10 spotty Wifi with a twist

Sep 2, 2020
Wifi Adapter: ASUS AC1200 AC53 Nano

A bit of background, I rent an apartment that shares internet with another on the property. The router has a separate network for me. Speeds can sometimes be ok, but are often bad, especially streaming Youtube, the main problem is I get very high packet loss, freezes, and sometimes disconnects in games, most notably Squad.

Connection strength is good, not full but good. I've had the problem with wifi connections on this PC before as well, with a different router/ modem and adapter, had Win10 reinstalled since. I spent many hours looking for a solution but ultimately just bought a 50 ft Ethernet cable.

Now here's the twist, I have a phone with a mostly busted screen I use with the Clockwork USB Tether app, I connect to the wifi and basically use it as an adapter, but Windows 10 sees it as an Ethernet connection. Using this method I get MUCH better and consistent speeds while watching Youtube at 1080p or updating games etc. The only problem with this is that for some reason when I use the tether app only a few or no servers show up in most games, I'm thinking that has to do with how the IP or something is set up for the tether process (it's automatic)

So what do you guys think? Is this something weird with Windows, maybe it being seen as a wired connection is something, or is the wifi adapter in my $30 phone just better than my $45 wifi adapter? XD Or if anyone knows of a solution to make servers visible using the tether app I'll just use that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also sorry if I made this thread wrong, new here :)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which version of Windows 10 are you on? By reinstall, did you recreate your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools? Are you on a desktop or a laptop? List your specs for the desktop and mention the SKU/make and model of your laptop.

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your platform.

Sep 2, 2020
Yes I used I used the tool, I'm on a desktop
Windows is 10 Pro v19041.450 (Checked today)
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1070
BIOS up to date.