Windows 10 Spring Feature update and Boot-drive migration from HDD or SSD to Samsung NVMe M.2 devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
This "help" post applies if you are running Windows 10 Feature Update 1709 or newer, using Windows Defender for your AV and Firewall and are migrating your boot drive from an SSD or HDD to a Samsung NVMe M.2 drive using the Samsung Data Migration Tool:

I recently ran into issues by which I installed my new Samsung EVO 970 250GB NVMe M.2 drive and wanted to clone my old SSD boot drive to the new drive.

I installed the new Samsung drive. I ran the driver installation as downloaded from the Samsung product page. I installed the Samsung Magician Software and that ran fine. I could see the drive and it had a letter assignment. I created a couple of files on it and then deleted them. File I/O; CHECK!

Then I got to trying to install the Samsung Data Migration Software which you can use to clone any current drive to your new Samsung drive. In this case I was cloning my Windows 10 OS drive (or commonly known as "The boot drive") to the new NVMe M.2 drive.

The Samsung Data Migration Software will make a perfect clone of whichever drive you choose to copy and is very helpful, but I ran into a snag...
It wouldn't install. I kept getting the following message after clicking the 'Install' button during the Samsung Data Migration Software install:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Feature transfer error
Feature: DefaultFeature
Component: DefaultComponent
File:
Error: The system cannot find the file specified.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Ran the install as administrator; same result.
Rebooted and tried again; same result.
Searched the web for any answer... NOTHING!!!
I thought it may just be buggy software produced by a hardware company.
I considered paying for and downloading cloning software (I try to avoid the free tools because I'm a little leary of what can come along with them).
I had almost resolved myself to using the drive for apps (and not cloning the boot drive to it!).

Then I remembered I recently updated to the latest and greatest Windows 10 Feature update 1803 and (I think) with the Spring Feature update 1709, a new Windows Defender feature was installed to keep your files safe from ransomware logically called 'Ransomware protection'. Since enabling the feature, I wondered if it might cause an issue, but I've been happily playing BF1 thereafter with no issue so I haven't revisited the thought until now.

After hours of trying to troubleshoot and 'Googling' the issue, a thought flashed through my mind... "Windows Defender Ransomware Protection". I disabled the Windows Defender Ransomware protection. I went immediately to the Samsung Data Migration Software install file and it ran WITHOUT ISSUE!!!

I then proceeded to clone my entire 95GB worth of boot drive from my old Intel 520 SATA 3 SSD to my new Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 drive within a five-minute time span.

With the 'Controlled folder access' 'Ransomware Protection' feature of Windows Defender enabled, I was unable to install the Samsung Migration Software.

So I hope I will save everyone hours of issues out there through my experience. Please do the following prior to trying to install the Samsung Data Migration Software tool if you have the same issue:
1) Double-click the Windows Defender icon in the service tray or type "Windows Defender" in the Windows 10 run box.
2) Double-click on the "Virus & threat protection" option.
3) Click on the "Ransomware protection" option.
4) Switch the "Controlled folder access" toggle to "Off".
5) Install the Samsung Data Migration Software and clone the drive.

I hope I saved you a ton of time and helped with your new Samsung NVMe M.2 install and clone or data migration! Prior to typing this, I couldn't see anything on the interwebs dealing with this issue!!! Please feel free to add to this discussion if you have additional info.

An additional note... I ran the Intel Data Migration tool (had to run the additional Intel software because these free data migration tools require you have a drive with their branding) to copy the contents of my last mechanical drive (or at least the last one I'll use in any of my own systems) to my old boot drive... It installed and ran without issue with Ransomware protection on.

Oct 23, 2018

Thanks for sharing about the Intel software (I will keep it in mind for the future), up to now the only software that has never failed me has been MiniTool Partition Wizzard Pro.

Dec 24, 2018

Hi man! Frankly I was looking for this information everywhere
When I found I was struck with an incredible joy

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I could help!

I didn't want anyone else to have to spend the time looking for answers or settle for using the 970 EVO NVMe drive as basic storage when the goal was to use it as a fast OS drive.

Please note that neither the Samsung or Intel software is faulty, but Windows 10 Ransomware Protection will keep the Samsung migration software from running.

Status
Not open for further replies.