[SOLVED] Windows 10 SSD on new Motheboard

kvoetvae

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
Hello!
I plan doing an upgrade, replacing my Motherboard, CPU & RAM. I have Windows 10 installed on my SSD (my whole C drive is the SSD). If I change the components and attach the SSD to the new motherboard, will Windows boot properly?

Solution
Hello!
I plan doing an upgrade, replacing my Motherboard, CPU & RAM. I have Windows 10 installed on my SSD (my whole C drive is the SSD). If I change the components and attach the SSD to the new motherboard, will Windows boot properly?
" will Windows boot properly?"

Asked here multiple times per day.

There are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've seen all 3.
Many people who do this report initial "It worked!"
And then, #3 rears its ugly head.

And the difference between the old parts and the new may have an impact.
Ancient Intel -> New Ryzen...#2 is likely.

For a whole new system, a fresh install is strongly recommended...

USAFRet

Titan
Hello!
" will Windows boot properly?"

Asked here multiple times per day.

There are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've seen all 3.
Many people who do this report initial "It worked!"
And then, #3 rears its ugly head.

And the difference between the old parts and the new may have an impact.
Ancient Intel -> New Ryzen...#2 is likely.

For a whole new system, a fresh install is strongly recommended, often required.

Reactions: Mickey Sood
Solution

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Hello!
Depends on what you mean by booting up. And also depends on how prepared windows is for the new hardware environment.
The registry of windows is fully connected to your motherboard, so if you switch motherboards, probably the least of your worries would be that windows will ask you to re-register.
Also if there is a driver missing, or the UEFI is doing some security checks that weren't there before in the boot sequence it is also possible that you will get BSODs.
If you are going to switch motherboards the best strategy is to just reinstall the whole OS, just to be sure.
cheers.

kvoetvae

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
Thanks for replies.
I have an AM3+ GigaByte motherboard. I'm thinking of going to AM4. Wonder if I stick to the GigaByte manufacturer whether it boots as it isn't changed or just completely says "No bootable media".

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for replies.
I have an AM3+ GigaByte motherboard. I'm thinking of going to AM4. Wonder if I stick to the GigaByte manufacturer whether it boots as it isn't changed or just completely says "No bootable media".
Possibility of success ranges from 0% to 100%.

I've had it fail on 2 near identical laptops.
I've had it work on 2 completely different desktops.
I've had it sort of work but eventually needed a full reinstall going from older Intel to newer Intel.