windows 10 start menu and search bar not working

Soul slayero

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
am not sure what is going on but the windows 10 start buttion dose not work i cant click on it and i cant search for files i have tired to do sfc / scannow but it fails at like 12% ... am losted and really want it working =/ i had to master reset windows 10 ones because i got stuckj i n a blue screen loop..

I had this recently (last update issue?) and went back to an earlier RESTORE POINT (use the last one just before your problem started).

So try that first, but make sure to set a Restore Point BEFORE going back to another point or you can't get back to where you where.

Unfortunately, everything else I tried failed (sfc /scannow etc). If the above doesn't work (you may not even have one) then you may need to do a REPAIR restore which I believe wipes out any programs you added.

I'd also run Memtest86 to ensure no memory issues with your DDR3/4 system memory->
www.memtest86.com

- burn free version
- boot to USB/DVD (change boot order if necessary)
- run for a FULL PASS
- failure may mean bad memory, bad motherboard, or memory setup issue

Troubleshooting memory sticks includes dropping CPU and memory to default values and retesting, and testing one stick at a time (see motherboard manual for placement of one or two sticks if you have four slots).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options
or
http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-to-fix-windows-10-problems-with-system-restore-11364008291943
or
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/start-menu-does-not-open-windows-10

Restore might be enabled. If so, there's usually a few points made, and it will tell you what programs you'll lose (so you can write down the names to reinstall).

You can get to the System Restore (from a restore point) from a W10 install disc if you can't do it normally through Windows.

Other:
You may have a bad drive, or bad system memory:

1) run Memtest86 free for a full pass: www.memtest86.com

2) run drive diagnostics (see manufacturer site). start with DST (drive short test). If an SSD not sure what to use.

a) find your way to System Restore:
- right-click desktop-> display settings-> click "gear" icon-> update and security-> backup-> more options->

-> see advanced settings-> recovery-> open system restore -> *DOES ONE EXIST? (if so click "scan for affected programs" and note).

You SHOULD make a restore point first at this point. Go back to the main System window and type in "restore point" then click on the "create a restore point" link-> make sure protection is on for your C-drive, then create a new restore point (go back to it if the other restore point doesn't help)

Other:
If you choose "Recovery" as an option instead of "Backup" then it will reinstall Windows (mostly) but you'll only be able to keep your files.

*If you have the install media, you can also choose the "UPGRADE" option which basically "upgrades" from W10 to W10. Read carefully though to ensure it won't wipe programs. It worked on Windows 7.

Soul slayero

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

I have corsair dom ram and aamsung ssd