[SOLVED] windows 10 start menu/search not working desktop items lost permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scootter71

Reputable
Dec 22, 2018
I had windows 7 installed on ssd 1 and I then upgraded to Win 10 and kept everything. Everthing was working fine. I cloned the Win 7
partition to my ssd 2 and then up upgraded that to win 10 and kept nothing. That was working fine.

I was logged in ssd2 installing live mail 2012. ssd 1 was disconnected. I connected ssd 1 and then attempted to import mail accounts
on ssd1 into live mail on ssd2, but I had to give win ssd2 access to the folders on ssd. I couldn't find the email accounts.

I restarted computer and logged into win ssd1 and that's when start menu wouldn't open, search box wouldn't work. shortcuts on task bar were broken
and now some folders on desktop I no long have permission to access. Some programs now don't work.

I have no restore points and I have tried all the supposed fixes I have come accross.

Any ideas short of total reinstallatoin on how to fix?

Solution
that only mean you have copy from mean it have security setup on the folders/files
after you copied to a flash drive. it shouldn't ask for form the flash drive. maybe on the destination

if you security are mess up. do a fresh install of everything

scootter71

Reputable
Dec 22, 2018
I opened ssd1 in explorer, navigated to the folders where I thought the email account were and attempted to search for them. Pop-up said You don’t currently have permission to access this folder .Click to permanently get access to this folder. Yes, I have same username on both installations. SSD1 is local account. SSd2 is microsoft account

Last edited:

scootter71

Reputable
Dec 22, 2018
I created another user on SSD 1 and logged into it and the star menu and everything works and is seems like all the programs are there are shortcuts on desktop to them. There are not any folders, etc. that are on user 1 desktop and I would like to give user 2 access to those, but I don't want to mess it up any further.

I restarted system to win 10 on SSD 2 and then checked permissions and can see administrators on ssd2 have full
control of SSD1. If I remove those permissions, could that fix my problem with user 1?

Thanks

scootter71

Reputable
Dec 22, 2018
I could do that. I do have everything backed up, but when I try to copy folders/files that are on desktop to flash drive, and I get dialog box telling me I need permission to copy the files I put there and I need read permissions to view them and programs no longer work, etc., I have my mind set on figuring out why that profile is so Fahrvergnugened and how to un-Fahrvergnugen it.

Thanks

rgd1101

Don't
that only mean you have copy from mean it have security setup on the folders/files
after you copied to a flash drive. it shouldn't ask for form the flash drive. maybe on the destination

if you security are mess up. do a fresh install of everything

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.