[SOLVED] Windows 10 start up repair loop (Unique problem)

Taylorrr

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
Last night I was using my PC just fine, and I was in the middle of doing some important work but I got tired, so I slept my computer and went to bed.

When I attempt to power on this morning, it takes me to startup repair. I then get the error message:
“Automatic repair couldn’t repair your pc”

And the log file is:
“F:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt”

And immediately I see the problem, it’s trying to boot from F: but I don’t have an active F:
It should be booting from my SSD, the C:
The problem is, I believe somehow windows is completely moved from the C: because when I go into the command prompt and look in the C: directory, all my files are there except for the Windows folder.

What I’ve tried so far:

In the cmd, I’ve done bcdedit & changed the device & osdevice back to C: but the problem wasn’t fixed.

I’ve also tried
Bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
Bootrec.exe /fixmbr
Bootrec.exe /fixboot

The last command didn’t work since it said “access denied”

I’ve also tried recovering to a restore point but that didn’t work either. I’m not experienced enough with cmd & computers in general to try anything else. I’m sure that it can be fixed but I need some assistance please! I’ll be checking this thread all the time through my phone so expect snappy responses from me!
If you require anymore info / picture please ask. Thanks guys.

(Also, I’ve got a lot of valuable information on my pc so formatting isn’t an option for me)

(Also also, I don’t have a disk / external drive with windows on it, the only place I’ve got windows is on my pc)

Just an update:

I’ve just checked my disks & previously I had my SSD as my C:
And my Hardddive as my T:

It’s now showing my hard drive to be my C: (which is why it’s not booting from there)
And there is no T:

Solution
Sometimes you just have to get help like that.

if all your files on hdd, you shouldn't lose anything. It is what I do, only thing on ssd is windows, and applications that need to be reinstalled if windows fails. Everything I value is on hdd as well as various USB drives and cloud servers. Makes coming back from a reinstall much faster and less painfui

I have found 90% of Windows problems happen "suddenly" and without any signs before hand, so your situation isn't that unique... just new to you. Its why backing up is recommended by those who have lost it all in the past.

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

wonder what drive looks like
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
type list vol and press enter

The system partition is the location of the boot loader
the boot partition is windows

fPnmiyn.jpg

type exit to get out of diskpart
while in cmd, try this to copy any info off PC you don't want to lose -
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Taylorrr

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017

I will show you what my list vol looks like

There is currently no volume with the info ‘system’ or ‘boot’

Volume 0 - C - Space - NTFS - Partition - 931GB - Healthy

Volume 1 - D - System Rese - NTFS - Partition - 100mb - Healthy

Volume 2 - F - [No label] - NTFS - Partition - 231GB - Healthy

There is also volume 3 & 4 but 3 is my SD card from camera & 4 is less than 1GB

Taylorrr

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
I’ve tried the link you sent me. I don’t get very far though. I keep getting Error 87
“The get-package option is unknown”

I’m not sure if it had windows on it previously.

Taylorrr

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
Yeah I made sure I got correct spacing, I was trying for like 15 minutes lol. This is a nightmare, is there any easier way we can communicate, maybe I can show you live feed through discord? I appreciate your help

Pcnewby

Prominent
May 1, 2017
I once got this problem and it was such a nightmare that I reset my pc which now works perfectly fine. Maybe you could always try this but
to perform these commands, you need to know drive letters for all your hard drive partitions. In Command Prompt you should enter the following (but remember to use the letters that match your hard drive partitions on your PC):
chkdsk /r x:
chkdsk /r x:
X=Your drive(s) letter
5. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i have to crash soon, its almost 3am here. you can try the toms discord but you normally get more replies here.

I guess you changed D to F since that is your SSD letter

My experience with this error relating to SrtTrail.txt is it often is best fixed with a clean install. I know you don't want to lose info, its why I showed the notepad method above. It might be fastest way to fix this though. How much of your data you need to keep on the ssd? if you can put it all on the hdd you won't lose anything apart from applications by doing a reset or a fresh install.

reset this PC might not work based on confusion of boot letters
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose reset this PC
choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)

the moderator note under the best answer in Microsoft link sort of agrees with me.

Pcnewby

Prominent
May 1, 2017

Roger that. Funny how I didn't notice while I have 2 ssds my self haha

Taylorrr

Reputable
Jul 5, 2017
I might have to take my pc to get repaired to be honest. I think somebody who knows what they are doing might recognise the issue. I don’t really have the resources to solve this problem. For example another pc. I really don’t want to lose my files & not really the applications either. It’s so strange & frustrating how this happened overnight. Thanks for your help anyway guys :’(

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sometimes you just have to get help like that.

if all your files on hdd, you shouldn't lose anything. It is what I do, only thing on ssd is windows, and applications that need to be reinstalled if windows fails. Everything I value is on hdd as well as various USB drives and cloud servers. Makes coming back from a reinstall much faster and less painfui

I have found 90% of Windows problems happen "suddenly" and without any signs before hand, so your situation isn't that unique... just new to you. Its why backing up is recommended by those who have lost it all in the past.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS