[SOLVED] Windows 10 started bluescreening a few days ago

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
Windows 10 pro 1909 18363.1016

So starting a few days ago windows has started randomly bluescreening. I can't read a dump file because "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation."
Another thing i noticed in the event log is that it's recording the unexpected shutdown at the wrong time.
"The previous system shutdown at 7:31:36 PM on ‎9/‎6/‎2020 was unexpected." But it actually crashed at around 8:11pm
But the timestamps on the event log entries after the reboot are showing the correct time. And I haven't noticed the system clock showing the wrong time.

The last thing in the event log prior to the crash is this (and it appears multiple times a day):
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user MYPCNAME\MYUSERNAME SID (S-1-5-21-1186387186-3346954459-1088633368-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Or at least figure out the cause? I can't think of anything that changed a few days ago. I don't remember installing any new software, or changing any windows settings.

Solution
Its possible, PSU are heart of system and if it was not supplying the right persistent power supply after 7 years, it could be cause. 7 years is about right time to replace as its becoming a likely problem anyway

This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe
the file it says is likely cause is part of the windows kernel. It is more likely what crashed, but not the actual cause.
Unexpected Store Exception. The store in question is used to track virtual memory usage. So a driver asked it to do something it isn't supposed to do.
The error info isn't enough to show what driver might have been running at time and it could show in the stack text of error. Tbh, most system errors aren't so nice and don't tell...

Lutfij

Titan
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPS:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Check and see which BIOS version you're currently on. Include the make and model of your PSU and it's age. In the interim period, make sure you've backed up all critical content from the OS installation drive in case you're asked to reinstall the OS, after recreating your bootable installer with Windows Media Creation Tools.

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPS:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Check and see which BIOS version you're currently on. Include the make and model of your PSU and it's age. In the interim period, make sure you've backed up all critical content from the OS installation drive in case you're asked to reinstall the OS, after recreating your bootable installer with Windows Media Creation Tools.

CPU: I9 7940X - bought 2018
MB: ASrock x299 killer - bought 2018
RAM: 32gb - bought 2018
MB OS: samsung 970 evo, bought in july
GPU: GTX 1080 - bought 2018
PSU: Seasonic X650 Gold bought 2013

CPU, MB, GPU, RAM were all bought in 2018
SSD was bought a few months ago
PSU was bought 2013

Bios looks like it's the original bios 1.2 - i'm hesitant to update the bios since it doesn't appear to have caused any issues in the last 2 years. Although one of their bios updates says "Support Intel 9 Gen Core™ X-series Processors", but it seems odd to me that I would need that update since it's been working fine for the last 2 years. And I wasn't doing anything particularly cpu intensive when the crashes occurred.

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
Ok, it crashed again. Although this time is was able to create memory dump.
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!SeConvertSidToStringSid+0x203A)
Bugcheck code: 0x154 (0xFFFF8F860BF45000, 0xFFFFF00FB68658C0, 0x2, 0x0)
Error: UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION

It says this is probably a typical software driver bug, but if it was another driver, it can't be identified.
At the time the crash occurred I was batch editing some images. According to task manager, the cpu was bouncing between 20-40% and power usage was listed as 'very high' for the program.

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
I haven't had a chance to run any other tests yet. But the same app that i was running last time when it crashed - that app itself just crashed right now. It's never done that before, but since these blue screens have started happening, it's been giving strange errors. The other day it stopped during a long batch process. And today it just crashed with no error or warning. I found these two entries in the application event log though:

Faulting application name: Aurora HDR.exe, version: 1.0.0.2550, time stamp: 0x5e515510
Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll, version: 14.26.28808.1, time stamp: 0x5eecdb07
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000001243
Faulting process id: 0xa720
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6912e785f17a5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Skylum\Aurora HDR\Aurora HDR.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VCRUNTIME140.dll
Report Id: 3d482b2e-8806-4303-b703-966892a625c1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
Aurora HDR is photographic software developed by Macphun Software for Mac OS X and Windows.

Uninstall that software and see.
That would be hard to do considering i use it for work. I doubt the software itself is the cause. It hasn't had any updates in about a year. And it wasn't running at the time the crash actually happened. I think that maybe Aurora is bumping into whatever is the actual cause and then triggering the crash.

The other day when it was stopping in the middle of a batch job, it didn't crash. It just stopped and pulled up a window showing what part of the batch didn't complete. Neither it nor windows crashed that time. But I'm not sure what it might be triggering since it doesn't seem to overly stress the system when it's running. CPU and Mem never go crazy high.

I'll have have to go download a copy of prime95 or something similar and get a chance to run that and see if anything happens.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its likely the software is the victim, not the cause.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
its likely the software is the victim, not the cause.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem
Hi Colif - if you scroll up a bit on sept 13 i posted some info from a crash that produced a dump file. Do you need more info then what I posted from that?

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
So i just replaced the 650W PSU with a new 750W unit. With the 650w psu being 7 years old, figured I should swap it out anyhow. I'll see if I get any more crashes over the next week or so. Hopefully that'll resolve it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its possible, PSU are heart of system and if it was not supplying the right persistent power supply after 7 years, it could be cause. 7 years is about right time to replace as its becoming a likely problem anyway

This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe
the file it says is likely cause is part of the windows kernel. It is more likely what crashed, but not the actual cause.
Unexpected Store Exception. The store in question is used to track virtual memory usage. So a driver asked it to do something it isn't supposed to do.
The error info isn't enough to show what driver might have been running at time and it could show in the stack text of error. Tbh, most system errors aren't so nice and don't tell me the driver name but with a bit of digging we can figure it out.

Solution

frederickalliston

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 12, 2020
Windows 10 pro 1909 18363.1016

So starting a few days ago windows has started randomly bluescreening. I can't read a dump file because "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation."
Another thing i noticed in the event log is that it's recording the unexpected shutdown at the wrong time.
"The previous system shutdown at 7:31:36 PM on ‎9/‎6/‎2020 was unexpected." But it actually crashed at around 8:11pm
But the timestamps on the event log entries after the reboot are showing the correct time. And I haven't noticed the system clock showing the wrong time.

The last thing in the event log prior to the crash is this (and it appears multiple times a day):
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user MYPCNAME\MYUSERNAME SID (S-1-5-21-1186387186-3346954459-1088633368-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Or at least figure out the cause? I can't think of anything that changed a few days ago. I don't remember installing any new software, or changing any windows settings.

The blue screen is notorious as a warning message about defective hardware, software or peripherals that force Windows to shut down. The blue screen is, therefore, an indication of a critical system error. As a protective measure, the computer shuts down. Most of the time, the computer can be restarted normally after a blue screen. You can then take care of the cause. If the blue screen error reappears shortly after starting the PC, the cause may be faulty hardware that needs to be repaired. Sometimes a system component needs to be replaced, such as the hard disk or a RAM strip. In other cases, the operating system has to be rebooted. However, check whether the problem is not with your drivers and try to fix it.