[SOLVED] Windows 10 starting very slowly, most of the time it takes about 10 min.

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
Hi,

I have a windows 10 system that I was having trouble with where it was freezing and starting slowly so I refreshed windows 10. Freezing is gone, but the starting is now very slow, taking 10 min or more. Time to start is not constant sometimes longer sometimes shorter, but its way too long. On a SSD it should be like 20 seconds.

System:
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Version 1909
MSI Motherboard - Z170A XPower Gaming Titanium Edition (MS7968)
Processor Intel Cor i5-6600K 3.5Ghz
Ram: 16.0 GB DDR
Drive the OS is on: 256GB Samsung 950 SCSI Solid State Disk Drive

Can anyone help, I don't know where to begin.

Solution
you have any other drives connected? (failing non-OS spinning drives can hang a system, inducing torturously long bootups) Disconnect them and test basic system for freezing without the variables of 'are my other drives good' involved...

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for getting back to me...

EVGA 750 BQ, 80+ Bronze 750W, Semi Modular

Temp is 36 for cpu and 40 for the system

I also have three HDDs, with two of those set up as a raid 1 mirror. No video card. I dvd drive 1 Blu-ray drive, but those usually aren’t running.

Last edited:

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
Following up, i have done the following to no improvement:
  1. Turned off fast startup, shut down, restart, turn on fast start up, shut down restart
  2. Update drivers
  3. Windows update
  4. Disabled unnecessary programs in startup
  5. Defragmented C drivee and optimized
  6. Ran system file checker tool in the command prompt: DISM.exe/online/Cleanup-image/Restorehealth
  7. Checked the graphics driver, it was fine
  8. System info is already on a Solid State Disk Drive

What else can I do to fix it?

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks brother,

test with just the ssd? As in, disconnect all drives and reboot the system and see if it goes away?
malware scan the system? That is running right now actually full scan, probably will take a few more hours
run disk health test on the os and the raid disk? memory test? - Raid status at start up indicates a "smart event" on one of the discs but overall status of the raid is "normal"

I have not done a disk health test, I need to go research how to do that.

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
test with just the ssd?
malware scan the system?
run disk health test on the os and the raid disk? memory test?

Test with just the SSD starts right up. It’s the RAID1 mirror. Do I just need to replace the Smart event drive? Or could it be the controller? Or some other driver having to do with those drives?

Malware scan showed clean

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
you have any other drives connected? (failing non-OS spinning drives can hang a system, inducing torturously long bootups) Disconnect them and test basic system for freezing without the variables of 'are my other drives good' involved...

Thanks, no other disk drives but I do have the DVD and blueray. It fires up quick with the RAID disks disconnected and one has the SMART event. Ordered a new disk last night